Drilling holes in ceiling or walls of a CL16BHB

Started by dmhlewis, October 25, 2017, 12:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmhlewis

NEW RV'er here. NEED your Help. We are looking at adding privacy curtains on the bunks. The hubby wants to do tension rods, but i know these are just going to fall down all the time with my 2 boys. I would like to install the IKEA Dignitet Curtain wire, but this requires drilling holes into the ceiling of our brand new camper. Is this okay? Or will drilling holes in the ceiling cause damage and possible leakage from rain or mold?

klaker

The interior walls are azdel then the foam is behind it, if you screw into the azdel it won't hold .

You'll have to drill into an aluminum cross member in the ceiling, then use a short screw to secure the curtain wire. Finding the aluminum cross member can be difficult, there are some posts about this on the forum.

For all trouble this is worth I would try the tension rod first and see if they are adequate.

AZMVP

I have a 16bhb and a 5 year old girl and a 10 year old boy. We get along great without privacy curtains. I really like the amount of natural light in a small space. 

Using something not permanent at first will allow you to assess if you really want privacy curtains. A simple alternative if you're concerned about a tension rod coming loose would be to use adhesive velcro and fabric. Buy fabric, cut to fit. Attach velcro. Put up and down when needed. 

Good luck!

Cheers!
Matt

DocktorJJ

I would try the 3m Command plastic hooks first. They make all kinds of these and can be removed from drywall, I do not know about azdel  removal.  I do have these in my bathroom and kitchen areas in our Camplite.  I love them.
2017 Camplite 21RBS
2015 Toyota Tundra
Central Florida

happykamper

happykamper here.  Our rig is a 2014 CL 21RBS.  A couple of years ago I used an IKEA curtain track / rail to mount a black shower curtain bought at Walmart to use as a privacy curtain.  When closed we are able to leave the bathroom door open thus expanding the usable space in the bathroom while maintaining privacy.  The shower curtain was the perfect length and did not require any modification.  The IKEA rod required drilling 2 small holes in the aluminum ceiling to mount the spacers that the rod is suspended from.  We've not had any issues with the mod, it looks great, being black the curtain "fits" with the black trim throughout the camper, and when not in use, the curtain simply slides back out of the way like a drape.  The void between the ceiling and the roof is about 4".  Good luck!

TitoMante

Ensure that the battery disconnect switch in certain RVs is set to the "On" position geometry dash scratch to prevent the battery from being disconnected from the electrical system.