Winterizing

Started by 7thunders, October 10, 2017, 10:55:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

7thunders

Its that time and I need to get ready to winterize my 16DBS.  First time.  I'm looking for comments on things to do here, I know we need to drain the water lines, we have the low point hot/cold lines to open. I would expect I should open valves to let lines drain easily with no air pressure to hold water back.  I'm not sure though what to do with the Hot water heater, how it should be winterized? do I remove the plug and drain it that way?
RV Antifreeze into the goosenecks of sink, but do I need to somehow get antifreeze into water heater or should I blow that out ? Looking for tips here.
Water tank and gray/black tanks empty. 
Suggestions or referrals to previous posts would be appreciated.
thanks
Rob In PA
Rob & Judi
Northeastern Pennsylvania
16 DBS
Toyota FJ Cruiser

Mitch

I would not put any anti-freeze in the water heater.  My process is to open all the valves in the camper, open the low points, release the pressure valve on the water heater then remove the plug so it drains. Don't forget to open the outside shower valves too.  Once everything has stopped dripping I change the valves on my hot water heater bypass hoses so that the hot water heater is isolated from the rest of the water supply.  At this point the hot water heater is winterized (there is no water in it).  I pump anti-freeze through the lines and pour some down the traps but others just blow everything out with air.  Your choice there.  Things to remember: the toilet valve, the outdoor shower where the hose plugs in, and the city water inlet (it has a one way check valve right where you screw on the water source outside, just press in the screen fitting to release the pressure)  Hope this helps.

Lighthouse

This is one of the better You Tube videos on how to winterize
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KclDkjfnak
You'll find some procedures don't mention using air to blow out residual water but this video recommends it. 
2017 16TBS
Ram 1500 Quad 4x4