Composition of 2018 Model Floor

Started by ssixlashes, October 10, 2017, 10:49:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssixlashes

I am wanting to buy a Camplite 16ft or 21ft in the next 6 months.  While buying new and having a warranty is appealing, I am hesitant to purchase the new versions because of the floor and roof.  I understand the roof issues and the pros / cons of the aluminum and flex roofs.  However, I am only reading somewhat vague descriptions of the two floor compositions. Can someone provide some technical information on the composition of the 2018 model floor system? 

I have rented a 2014 with the aluminum floor.  I immediately appreciated the lack of odor and the cleanliness of the aluminum construction.  Here in Florida, and the south in general, cold floors are not an issue.  One of my primary motivations for buying a Camplite is the greatly diminished mold potential and the lack of rot potential.  Small amounts of moisture are sure to periodically get inside the body of any RV; what mischief that small amount of moisture causes is dependent on the materials it contacts. 

I appreciate you informing about the floor composition, so I can decide over a 2015 or a 2018 model. 

Entropy3XD

Hi ssixlashes,

Here are some of the facts uncovered over the past two months:

RockorSomething spoke to LL and received the following information:

The following are the laminated floor information.

·         Absolutely NO WOOD in the super structure, including the floor system

·         5 layers-We use 5 layers to construct the floor.  Lamilux fiberglass top, 1-layer of Azdel, polystyrene(High-density block foam insulation), lastly another layer of Azdel and Darco protective wrap

·         Most laminated floor systems use wood product called luan, LL DOES NOT use wood.  We have thoroughly tested(weight per sq inch) this new and improved floor with the fiberglass top layer. it has outperformed the luan constructed laminated floor system used by many manufacturers in the RV industry.

·         Aluminum framed floor. R-value is 10 VS previous way was R-0

·         Heat/Cold transfer is less do to the insulated floor over the aluminum floor

·         High-density Block foam adds noise reduction 

·         More comfortable to stand on, Smooth fiberglass top, no ridges like the aluminum floor system

·         This new advanced floor is lighter weight than the old floor system. 

You may also want to join the Livin Lite Owners Group and Livin Lite Tent Owners Group on Facebook, as more information is being shared there.  A user named Mike Arnold uploaded a good pic comparing the two floors.

djmiller

I thought I posted this once before.....
This applies to all Livin'lite products except for the QuickSilver Toy haulers that still use the extruded aluminum profile floors.

-Dan

Entropy3XD

Dan, on those aluminum tubes, are they placed a specific distance apart or only along the outside edges?

djmiller

They are around the perimeter, doubled in front of the door.  (3) additional tubes running lengthways (1 in the center of the floor with one each side). (2) additional across the width each side of the wheel wells, with additional tubes around the toilet.  That is the minimum. There may be additional tubes added depending on the floor plan and where items mount to the floor.

DavidM

If I could put my structural engineer hat on for a minute (but I am a retired chemical engineer, so beware!!) lets look at the floor design. Unlike boats and composite airplanes where the panels sit on top of the frames and stringers, LL laminates the aluminum square tubing inside the cored laminate. This is actually good as it makes the overall structure lower and easily attaches the panel to the tubing, but is probably more labor intensive than simply cutting out-pre fabricated panels and screwing them on top of the tubing.

But that design is probably what lets the laminated panel flex more at the tubing joint as some have reported. All of the load on the panel is concentrated at the tubing edge and the stress is not distributed as it would be if the panel were simply mounted on top of the tubing. But there should be no problem problem with this design as long as it doesn't crack the laminate at the tubing joint and I am sure that hasn't ever happened unless you carry elephants in your camper.

David