What is the sealer between the jack brackets and camper side?

Started by Brian Churchwell, October 01, 2017, 03:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Churchwell

I contacted Rieco Titan to ask about remounting the corner jack brackets so that the jacks protrude to the front and rear rather than the sides.  This will make the rig noticeably narrower and improve visibility with the side mirrors.  Rieco Titan said this is the way they used to be mounted until truck fenders got wider so now they are typically mounted to the side.  There is no other reason that they have to be mounted one way or the other, and it's fine to change them as long as the truck allows.

Could someone from Livin' Lite post the sealer that's between the brackets and camper so that I can have some on hand if I decide to do this?  Mine is a 2016 Ford 8.6 with black sealer.

Any other comments on why this is or isn't a good idea?
2016 Ford 8.6 TC

djmiller

They construction on the sidewall uses 1.5x3 x .125 tube and are fastened through the tube utilizing insert nuts.
THEY CANNOT BE MOVED!
There would be no way to reattach them.

-Dan

Brian Churchwell

On my TC the insert nuts can be accessed, but on further review rearranging the brackets isn't possible because the bolt pattern won't line up when they are reversed.

Rieco Titan can't supply undrilled brackets, so I would have to drill a set that would end up looking like swiss cheese to remount them.

Dan, can you say what the sealer is anyway for future reference?
2016 Ford 8.6 TC

Seattle-TC11

The sealant on my TC11 is black butyl. Most hardware stores sell it in the roofing supply. It is typically sold in 2" wide rolls. It can be formed into any shape and pieces are easy to stick together to made any width.

It cleans very easily with Goo Gone cleaner. That product will should harm your paint. It is designed to remove stuff like this.

herrylauu

There are several different types of sealants that may be used for this purpose, including silicone, polyurethane, and butyl tape. The specific type of sealant used will depend on the manufacturer's recommendations and the type of camper or RV being used.

stumble guys online

thudemigrate

When you put the tie-down mount on the snake io frame, it looks cool. I want to know if that's how most TCs put their bands on. You would think that the mount would be stronger since it has such a key fixing point. The TC is attached to the truck by this. The decision to put your laces back on is now settled.

havinabram

The sealant used on my TC11 is black butyl, which is readily available at most hardware stores in the roofing supply section. It's usually sold in 2" wide rolls, allowing for easy customization of shapes. You can easily form it into any shape, and pieces can be stuck together to create the desired width.

Cleaning the sealant is a breeze with Goo Gone cleaner, which should not harm your paint. This product is specifically designed to remove substances like the sealant without causing damage.