Aluminum side or Fiberglass?

Started by Paul, September 27, 2017, 02:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

I ordered a 2018 21BHS in Blue with aluminum side. Livin lite contacted me and said that the blue color is now only available for Fiberglass. They offered me to switch fiberglass at no cost. I assume they will give me the platinum package. Should I just change color or switch to fiberglass?  Is the new options with the platinum package worth it?
http://aluminumcamperforum.com
2014 Ford Escape
2016 Ford F150 XTR 2.7l ecoboost  4x4
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2018 Camplite 21BHS (on order)

djsamuel

Quote from: Paul on September 27, 2017, 02:55:41 PM
I ordered a 2018 21BHS in Blue with aluminum side. Livin lite contacted me and said that the blue color is now only available for Fiberglass. They offered me to switch fiberglass at no cost. I assume they will give me the platinum package. Should I just change color or switch to fiberglass?  Is the new options with the platinum package worth it?

I would assume that the platinum package comes also.  I believe the fiberglass sided trailer with the platinum package cost the same as an aluminum sided camper.

The fiberglass camper with the package is intriguing, but I would probably pick a different color. 
2013 Camplite 21BHS

Lighthouse

There has been much debate on this and other forums about the new Fiberglass Azdel walls.  The old fiberglass was laminated to luan plywood and was prone to delaminating.  The wood layer, if wet, would expand and was a primary factor in the delamination over time.  This new Azdel fiberglass has no wood, it is laminated to Azdel and is not supposed to delaminate.  Some are incensed over this switch, that the all aluminum trailer is no longer "all aluminum".  I, for one, believe that newer composite materials can be lighter, stronger, and perform better so I'm supportive of using these newer materials.   As far as the other items in the Platinum package, there are some good items included, like the aluminum steps, battery disconnect, and friction entry door.  The Platinum item of an enclosed underbelly, does sound like a good idea also in that it provide some protection and insulation to the systems and parts in the underbelly, but the enclosure hinders access to anything in the underbelly, if you are inclined to that type of thing.  I ordered a Platinum edition.  You'll have to decide what's best for you.
2017 16TBS
Ram 1500 Quad 4x4

DavidM

Paul:

On balance I think getting the platinum package for free would be worth it. I have no doubt that the fiberglass sides are heavier than aluminum, maybe by a hundred pounds or so, but that is the only downside. And as noted above there are lots of other good things in the platinum package.

So I would go for it.

David

djmiller

Paul,

The reason the blue is no longer available is: that particular color is only available in .030 metal.  All other colors offered are in .040 thickness. The .030 is more prone to damage by stones being kicked up and even hail damage. You probably know by now but I was told by sales you are getting the platinum package at the same cost.

Paul

Hi Dan, I have choosen to get the Platinum Package.
http://aluminumcamperforum.com
2014 Ford Escape
2016 Ford F150 XTR 2.7l ecoboost  4x4
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2018 Camplite 21BHS (on order)