The History And Future Of Livin Lite...The Untold Story

Started by Silverfox, January 09, 2017, 07:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silverfox

Are there any historians on this forum who might want to take the time to briefly summarize the history of Livin Lite in an unbiased format so that new members of this board as well as some folks who transferd over from the now defunct Livin Lite board could be apprised of all the changes that Livin Lite has gone through over the past few years. Management? Production locations? Changes which might have caused a little controversy and some animosity amoung some owners and members? For example who is Scott Tuttle?  Who built Livin Lites after he sold out to Thor?  Is K-Z RV now building all Livin Lites  for Thor? Is K-Z as reputable a company as they say they are? Are they really trying to bring Livin Lite back to its original bones (all aluminum). Will Livin Lite keep its unique and reputable reputation? Maybe someone from Livin Lite can give us some honest answers. There have been a lot of disgruntled people on the previous board who had a lot to say and there are lot of new owners who are optimistic about their new purchase. Maybe someone from K-Z's management team might want to enlighten us! Enquiring minds want to know??
We're lost...but we're making good time

Silverfox

I was hoping I could get somebody from K-Z RV marketing to jump in here and answer these questions. A perfect opertunity to promote your product. Oh well, I guess it will remain an untold story at least on this board... :(   Hmmm... Maybe I'll pose the same question to the pundits on the Aluminium Camper Board and see if I can get a response from them.

djmiller

Quote from: Silverfox on January 27, 2017, 11:59:55 AM
I was hoping I could get somebody from K-Z RV marketing to jump in here and answer these questions. A perfect opertunity to promote your product. Oh well, I guess it will remain an untold story at least on this board... :(   Hmmm... Maybe I'll pose the same question to the pundits on the Aluminium Camper Board and see if I can get a response from them.

Silverfox - I actually started on that and have over a page of text.  I have been involved with Livinlite sense Scott Tuttle who used to be my neighbor and a co-worker at Gulfstream Coach was showing me the QuickSilver nameplates that he just had made for the business. - Give me a week or so.....

-Dan

Silverfox

Thank you so much Dan, looking forward to it. You're doing great job...much appreciated! :D

Railsnstiles

I too am looking forward to Dan's article. It is great having someone to represent the company to answer questions, provide specs, etc.

Keep up the good work, Dan! And thanks.

djmiller

I've been involved with Livin' Lite since the beginning, so I'm pretty comfortable filling you in on our company's highlights.

Scott Tuttle created Livin' Lite in 2003. The original QuickSilver tow hauler was one of our mainstay product lines. We also built trailers to transport snowmobiles, para-planes, motorcycles, and racecars, along with mobile offices and toy haulers. Most of these were custom builds. In 2009, the first Livin' Lite 10-foot travel trailer was produced under the CampLite name, and featured aluminum laminated interior walls.

2011 brought about LP appliances, including an electric water heater, furnace and the replacement of the hand pump with an actual water tank and pump. The optional porta-potty was replaced with a cassette toilet.

Azdel became available shortly after CampLite's introduction, and replaced the cold look of the interior aluminum sidewalls. We had a huge Yahoo group following at that time (before Facebook), and the change from aluminum interior walls to Azdel was a big hit, allowing us to soften up the interior by offering wood-look cabinetry while staying away from wood products. We started offering two different colors of wood-look Azdel, and were able to maintain the same aluminum-framed cabinetry construction we use today.

In 2012, we redesigned the Camplite travel trailer front profile to be more aerodynamic.

In 2013, Livin' Lite was acquired by Thor (http://ir.thorindustries.com/press-releases/press-release-details/2013/Thor-Acquires-Innovative-RV-Maker-Livin-Lite/default.aspx). In 2014, the production facility was moved from its original location to a larger facility across town.  The move allowed us to acquire a new lamination machine (being used today), capable of laminating all of our products in our own facility. Scott Tuttle remained president after the acquisition, until he retired in 2015 to pursue other interests. 

In 2015, CrossRoads RV assumed the management of Livin Lite, and we relocated to the CrossRoads RV facility in Topeka, Indiana. In 2016, management was transferred to KZ RV, and Livin' Lite was moved one final time to our home on the K-Z campus in Shipshewana, Indiana.

Today, Livin Lite RVs are built in a state-of-the-art aluminum manufacturing facility dedicated to producing the quality and workmanship Livin Lite owners expect. Keeping true to Livin' Lite's brand and DNA, K-Z brought back the all-aluminum interior door package, and is focused on the basics, such as customer support, product development and quality.

-Dan

Silverfox

Hi Dan, Thanks for the synopsis. Those three moves during the transition explain a lot. I'm very happy Livin Lite has found a home in a state of the art facility and glad they are still being built with the option for the original cabinets. I would love to see a picture of that first 10' Camp Lite. Any chance you might have one in your files?

djmiller

Here are a few very early ones. A few of these are from an owner.

Silverfox

Very nice!  Thanks for sharing those pics.  Other than the change to a conical nose, looks very similar to my 2016 13 QBB from the outside. They've added a few amenities to the interior as well...stove...bath...micro...etc. We love our wood plank laminate over the aluminum flooring and the aluminum framed wood grain azdel cabinets, gives it a warm cozy feel. So happy you guys are settled in your new facility. Hopefully we'll see more and more Camp Lites in our travels.

djmiller

Quote from: Silverfox on February 08, 2017, 07:17:01 PM
Very nice!  Thanks for sharing those pics.  Other than the change to a conical nose, looks very similar to my 2016 13 QBB from the outside. They've added a few amenities to the interior as well...stove...bath...micro...etc. We love our wood plank laminate over the aluminum flooring and the aluminum framed wood grain azdel cabinets, gives it a warm cozy feel. So happy you guys are settled in your new facility. Hopefully we'll see more and more Camp Lites in our travels.

Cool that you have a 13QBB.  Yes it is similar.  The 13BHB in the images had no refer.  What you see in the rear alongside the bunks is a 12V cooler.  The interior walls and even the ceiling were aluminum.  No bath only an optional porta-poty!

Bronco2004

Hi Dan,

I'm close to making a purchase on a 21BHS and I have 4 choices.  My question kinda ties in w Silverfox's bc the choices span the management changes.

Choice 1: 2014 21BHS, with bare aluminum floor, azdel cabinents, dry weight = 3500

Choice 2: 2016 version, wood-looking cabinets, dry weight = 4000 (I assume under Crossroads)

Choice 3: 2017 early version, wood-looking cabinets, dry weight = 4000 (I think this was one of the first batches right after KZ took over)

Choice 4: 2017 late version, back to azdel, dry weight = 3600.

I know that the weight dropped recently to 3600 bc of the new flooring.  Why did the weight go up to 4000 after Thor/Crossroads took over?

Also, what are the cabinets that look more like wood made of?

Any additional insights distinguishing between the different generations would be helpful.

Thanks!

PS Silverfox, thanks for initiating this thread, your question was always in the back of my mind.

Silverfox

Hey Bronco, IN my honest opinion I would lean toward #1 or #4. Not only do they weigh less, they have the azdel cabinets (my choice over wood). #1 has an aluminum roof and an aluminum floor, another big plus for me. Although, if you're  camping in the winter,  the aluminum floor my not be your best option.
The other thing I would take into consideration is where the trailer was manufactured. I personally would stay away from any that were assembled in Topeka (Crossroads)...just don't think their hearts were in it! For what it's worth my unit was manufactured in March of 2015 and labeled a 2016 model. Based on Dan Millers timeline, I believe it was assembled at the larger facility by the same original workers under Scott Tuttle's management.
I can also attest that my trailer was assembled with TLC. I have made a lot of modifications and upgrades to my unit that required me to look beyond the outer facade....welding, wiring etc. I believe I have a well built trailer. I also believe the new team (KZ RV) are doing a great job and are continuing to build a good product. Once again, this is just my opinion and I hope it helps in your decision.

djsamuel

As stated above, I would go with #1 or #4 as well.  My 21BHS fits the #1 category but the new trailers really look good and the floor seems like a big plus.
2013 Camplite 21BHS

wakeboydb

I have a 2017 21 bhs which passed final inspection on 4/7/16. As far as quality goes, I have been very impressed so far. I see different weights noted for this model and would love to know for sure what mine is. I'm guessing that makes mine a #3? Although,  mine does have an azdel sticker on the outside.
2017 21BHS