Furrion or Zamp

Started by Lighthouse, September 22, 2017, 12:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthouse

2017 and some early 2018's had a Zamp Solar connector port.  On the 2018 16TBS Platinum video that Matt from Leo's RV posted on Youtube, it shows a Furrion connector port.  Is Zamp out and all new 2018's now prewired for Furrion solar?
2017 16TBS
Ram 1500 Quad 4x4

Paul

They updated the info on the website for the 2018 model and all they say now is Pre-Wired Solar. They don't metion Zamp anymore.  I am curious to know this too as I have ordered a 2018 21BHS
http://aluminumcamperforum.com
2014 Ford Escape
2016 Ford F150 XTR 2.7l ecoboost  4x4
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2018 Camplite 21BHS (on order)

djmiller

There is no difference in the wiring. Only the connector. All it provides is a fused connection to the battery, however the pin spacing is different.

tinkeringtechie

I don't really get this solar connector stuff. There's already a 12V connector on every trailer that has brakes. Just plug your charger to the 7-way connector with one of these and you're set:

https://www.amazon.com/58150-7-Way-Blade-Connector-Socket/dp/B001EP0G72/

I prefer to connect directly to the battery to eliminate any extra resistance in the wires, but it seems silly to poke holes in the side of the trailer to add a proprietary connector when there's already a connector sitting out in the open.

djmiller

You are so right on the connector.  Just that the Solar Panel manufacturers kits usually don't connect to a 7 way plug.
The battery is external anyway so a direct connect to the battery would technically be better anyway.

AZ Sunshine

TinkerTechie should explore the benefits of solar . Plenty RV youtube stuff for an education from real RV people using solar.

Sometimes you are not able to plug in to your 7 blade vehicle connect. Plus it uses the fuel necessary to run your tow vehicle. All good if you are towing and charging. But when your camper is sitting in the sun all day, why not "Plug in" to the sun?
The solar port on the RV is intended for just that with the proper solar panel kit.

Now, the topic of this thread is Furrion or Zamp......My 2018 282DBHS is equipped/ pre wired with a Furrion 10amp solar port. I have looked at different "suitcase" type panel kits, and they all seem basically the same ....plug and play. The trouble Furrion plug is proprietary to their "suitcase", which is a bit more expensive than other options. There are many solar kits out there that are not "brand Name" and most include what appears to be a genereic connector or just battery clips direct to your battery. 

Questions:
In anyone's experience, are most suitcase / folding type solar kits created equal?  I understand the difference in wattage, the more watts, the more expensive.

But for a 100 watt suitcase type folding kit, you can spend anywhere from $200 up to $1200
They all have the same basic components. And same basic charging capability.

Is there an adapter that will connect any kit to the Furrion  port?

Any help and knowledge from personal experience will  be appreciated.

DavidM

The Furrion connector may or may not be proprietary, but Amazon has adapters to fit anything so don't think that since you have a Furrion port, you have to use Furrion equipment.

Here is my take on suitcase solar panel systems:

They obviously include a panel, some folding some just a single panel. There isn't much difference in quality in solar panels. Folding panels are more expensive because someone had to package a couple of panels together. Single panels are cheap if bought independently of a suitcase package.

Almost all suitcase packages include a charge controller and almost all are made in China. This is where it is a crap shoot. Some Chinese stuff is good, some will fail almost immediately. You pay your money and you take your chance.

The best bang for the buck is a 100 watt panel, either rigid or flexible, purchased on Amazon or eBay, $100 for rigid, $180 for flexible. Combine that with a Morningstar PWM controller for $60-80 and some wire and you have a suitcase package for half or less of a packaged system.

David