Aluminum roof on a 2016?

Started by ineedanap, September 20, 2017, 07:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ineedanap

I just bought a 2016 Camplite 21BHS.  I looked up on the roof and it's aluminum.  I thought they stopped doing aluminum a few years prior to that when they went to the curve front?  I bought it new from my local dealer and it was definitely new so I believe the date on the title.  Pleasant surprise, but what is going on.  Is this a one off or something? 

Link to my pic:

https://flic.kr/p/YDNsCE

chappy133

I have a made in 01-2016 TBS with an aluminum roof. I believe LL switched to the TPO roofs in February or March. 

Your lucky day.
Chuck
2016 21 RBS
2022 F 150 Lariat
Easton, PA

bgewin

I have the same year and model.  Aluminum also.  I believe ours were the last ones with aluminum roof.

sjhiam

We purchased a 2016 16TBS earlier this year, and it also has an aluminum roof.  I can see why they changed to a different material - our roof has a big ripple in it.  We had our dealer contact Livin-Lite for a warranty covered fix, but they said that's just what aluminum roofs do, and it should be OK as long as the sealant is intact.  Here's hoping...

tco2612

kluanie

We just received our new 16BHB from Tennessee last nite. It has the TPO roof which I am (for now) happy to see as the 2011 16QBB we almost bought also had two large ripples or dents right behind where the nose and roof joined. It was obvious upon inspection that these dents (on aircraft called oil canning) were water traps. When we first started looking at LL products they were claiming that the nose and roof were all one piece. Certainly not an accurate claim on the QBB we looked at.

klaker

Despite the slight denting of the aluminum roof where it joins the front cap, an aluminum roof is vastly superior to a rubber roof. It does cost more though, in both materials and labor to install. The ripples in the panel are minor, can't be seen from the ground, and don't affect the structure in any way.

The aluminum is one piece, there has to be a seam somewhere and that is at the front. My camper has the aluminum roof and floor and if it didn't I wouldn't have bought it.

Unfortunately Thor is changing the product and not for the better IMHO. aside from the obvious like the aluminum roof and floor there is no longer lighting in the bunks, extra aluminum tubing in the under bed storage (on the 21BHS), or exterior storage on the slide out.

These are just a few things I have noticed between my camper and pics of newer ones online.

LANA/LARRY

What is warranty on the aluminum roof system? The new roof system is warranted for 10 years.
2018 CL21RBS
2016 Tundra Dbl Cab Tow Pkg 5.7 L

klaker

Aluminum roofs don't wear out so I don't see the value of a warranty for it, To each their own though, if you prefer a rubber roof and that is what is on your camper then that is good.

Rubber roofs are only used because they are inexpensive for the manufacturer to buy and install. Rubber roof replacement isn't cheap, the warranty is dubious at best, and they are easily damaged by tree branches. Search RV forums on these topics, there is a lot to read.