2018 (?) quicksilver wall flexing with beds

Started by Onroad, September 17, 2017, 10:21:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onroad

Hi Folks,

We have been long-time readers, but this is our first posting.  We have been quicksilver owners since 2013 with an 8.0 10th Anniversary edition which was sadly destroyed after being hit by a boat in the Pennsylvania mountains!

We have been happily traveling almost 25000 miles over the last several years from Key West to Goose Bay in Labrador. We have modified and adapted the campers and happily fixed any and all issues that have arisen by ourselves.

We now have a brand new 10.0 off-road which we picked up in May, and just returned from our first long road trip - 2 weeks in Quebec.
This model has the composite sides and floor. We discovered that both ends of the camper box, where the bed hinge attaches, are flexing and bowing.

We contacted a helpful Dan at Livin lite and he said he would work on the problem (all well and good so far).

My question is does any one else have this problem? How was it fixed? And did it work?
I have opinions  on the issues involved, but wanted input from a large group.
The short videos show the problem with my 100lb daughter pulling down on the beds end.

smjcolsga

Quote from: Onroad on September 17, 2017, 10:21:03 AM
Hi Folks,

We have been quicksilver owners since 2013 with an 8.0 10th Anniversary edition which was sadly destroyed after being hit by a boat in the Pennsylvania mountains!

We now have a brand new 10.0 off-road which we picked up in May,

Hit by a boat? In the mountains? I know there's a good story in there we'd love to hear!

As for your 10.0, are you sure it's a 2017 model with the composite floor and walls? We thought those weren't changed until the 2018 model year... yours could be a 2018 even if produced in May of this year.

Onroad

It's composite throughout.
We purchased this as a 2017 from the dealer, but maybe it is an early 2018!

Entropy3XD

Is your floor composite or aluminum?  If composite, it's a 2018.  I'll check the beds on the 2018 I have and post back later this afternoon. 

smjcolsga

Quote from: Onroad on September 17, 2017, 01:10:33 PM
It's composite throughout.
We purchased this as a 2017 from the dealer, but maybe it is an early 2018!

Look at your VIN# if the 10th position is an 'H' then it is a 2017, if it is a 'J' then you have an early build 2018 model.

Onroad

Just checked the VIN, we have the J version so that makes it 2018. The floor and all side walls are composite. They are supported with the standard aluminum frame. Incidentally all our welded frame members are flush with the under side of the composite floor thus adding more bracing to floor structure.

smjcolsga

Quote from: Onroad on September 17, 2017, 02:45:48 PM
Just checked the VIN, we have the J version so that makes it 2018. The floor and all side walls are composite. They are supported with the standard aluminum frame. Incidentally all our welded frame members are flush with the under side of the composite floor thus adding more bracing to floor structure.

Interesting, what's your build date? Month and year should be on the white mftr's info sticker on the outside panel... are the short bracing bars in the mid to rear of the frame flush with the underside of the floor? These run front to back between the large crossways frame members.. thanks!

Entropy3XD

Onroad, I checked out mine and I'm not seeing the flexing issue with the bed walls.

Onroad

We placed the order mid January, it was a custom build, it was finished mid April. Unfortunately we have no sticker with date information. All the metal underside supports, both the main and mid supports are flush to the underside of the composite floor. We can hardly feel the floor flex when we walk around.

Entropy3XD

Quote from: Onroad on September 17, 2017, 03:33:27 PM
We placed the order mid January, it was a custom build, it was finished mid April. Unfortunately we have no sticker with date information. All the metal underside supports, both the main and mid supports are flush to the underside of the composite floor. We can hardly feel the floor flex when we walk around.
Onroad, is there any chance you can get a pic of the undercarriage?  Sounds like your frame is a bit different from mine and smjcolsga's, and ours were manufactured in June.

Onroad

Here are a couple of pictures of the underside of the camper, showing the flush mount of the support members. The floor on mine is firm enough ( I would have preferred the aluminum plank....) How has LL addressed your problems?

smjcolsga

Quote from: Onroad on September 17, 2017, 05:32:04 PM
Here are a couple of pictures of the underside of the camper, showing the flush mount of the support members. The floor on mine is firm enough ( I would have preferred the aluminum plank....) How has LL addressed your problems?

Very interesting that your camper with an earlier build date would adress an issue seen on ones built a few months later.. I wonder if yours was a prototype for the new frame design? My July build date 10.0 was also special ordered but those mid-frame supports are welded at the bottom of the main cross supports.

Entropy3XD

Quote from: Onroad on September 17, 2017, 05:32:04 PM
WOW!  Your frame addresses some of my major issues with the new floor.  I can't understand why they didn't keep it like yours.  The grey electro-flex, is that a mod you did? 

LL hasn't fully addressed my problems, but they're slowly working on it.

Onroad

We factory ordered an extra electrical outlet to be installed in the rear of the camper and the gray cable is the protected electrical line. I had to clean up the wiring attachment points on the underside.....
I'm going to add some additional cross members to help stiffen up the floor and the frame, its  the problem with the front and rear wall which is causing us the most concerns. We feel the beds cannot be used until the walls are stabilized, we'll see how LL is going to fix this issue. We drove 700 miles to the closest dealer to the factory to pick the unit up, hopefully a local location can repair it.

smjcolsga

Quote from: Onroad on September 18, 2017, 07:56:53 AM
We factory ordered an extra electrical outlet to be installed in the rear of the camper

Wow, I had no idea that LL would take custom-order requests like that... I would've asked if they could have produced a 10.0 with a 14XLP-style dinette! I also had the idea of adding an additional 110v (and usb) outlet to the rear of the living quarters for easy access from the rear bed. Also planned is a dedicated microwave outlet in the kitchenette taken from the AC service line with an AC/MW switch installed to choose one or the other... some things you see the need for once you've lived with one for a bit ;)