Care of CampLite trailer

Started by rkreycik, September 07, 2017, 01:48:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkreycik

Greetings!

We love our 2014 13BHB.  It pulls great with our 4Runner (though we would opt for an 8 cylinder engine instead of our current 6 because it's kind of gutless up grades!).

Couple of questions on care.  Do you recommend using a cover in the winter, or does that just cause mold and abrasion problems?  Should we wax the finish?

Also, some folks park their tires on boards when the trailer will not be moving for awhile.  Is that necessary with nitro fill tires?

Dirk

I agree Toyota's have no torque when it comes to towing , High RPM and lower gears on any hill or against wind.
If you use a cover for the trailer make sure it is made out of material designed for that purpose and well fitting so it doesn't flap in wind.
I've never put my trailer on blocks if you park it on cement maybe that wouldn't be a bad idea. I do cover my wheels up for storage.
Speaking of tires ... I put on one ply higher than the tires that came with the trailer. The higher ply allows more air pressure, the old ones always looked like they were low of air.

rkreycik

LANA/LARRY

We have a 2016 Tundra with 5.7 liter V8. It has plenty of towing power / torque for towing anything Camp Lite builds and then some. In addition, it is equipped with their tow package which adds many features making towing much more safe, reliable, and convenient. These trucks have the quality and reliability you bought your 4-Runner for - don't think you would be disappointed in one.

Yes, you should wax your camper exterior. We have a new 2018 CL21RBS and just finished putting a coat of polymer based Nu Finish Liquid Car Polish on it's exposed aluminum surfaces. Will be putting a second coat on before winter, two coats are supposed to last a full year. I also recommend using 303 30350 Aerospace Protectant on exposed rubber and plastic surfaces (such as seals around pop-outs, door seals, tires, etc.). We use Boeshield waterproof lubricant on hinges, pop-out tracks, hitch moving parts, etc. Both are available on Amazon where you can read about them and decide if they are for you. We really like results of all these products thus far. Invest in a camper cover which "breaths" in order to minimize mildew / mold potential and moisture build up beneath cover. Also get one which fits tight and has adequate tie off provisions to minimize flopping around against camper during windy periods.

There are several threads on this forum about camper tires which you would be wise to read. They are perhaps on failure the highest risk component on trailers in my opinion, but are often not well cared for. A high speed blowout can cause serious accidents and often results in significant damage to wheel well area even if you don't wreck. Besides, changing a blown out tire along side a busy freeway can be hazardous as well as dampening your camping experience. Most campers are factory equipped with tires produced in China these days - questionable quailty to begin with, so warrant very close attention. Read up on tires online (load range ratings, ply ratings, impact of under inflation, what to look for during inspection, replacement suggestions, etc.) to understand what to do & don't do to minimize risk of tire failure. Under inflation leads to overheating the tires; a quick way to premature failure yet very easy to avoid with a tire gauge and TPMS equipment (tire pressure monitoring system like most newer cars are equipped with - for good reason). I think tire covers & taking weight off tire contact areas during parking, etc. are pale in comparison to addressing pointers noted above.

Hope this helps you enjoy your camper more and worry less about towing it... Take Care & God Bless!
2018 CL21RBS
2016 Tundra Dbl Cab Tow Pkg 5.7 L

rkreycik

Lana/Larry,

Very helpful info.  Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience with us newbies!