Flexible solar panels

Started by Tony De Rijk, September 04, 2017, 10:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony De Rijk

I want to glue flexible solar panels directly onto the Alpha Superflex roof of a new Camplite trailer as I want to avoid unnecessary penetrations. What adhesive should I use that is compatible with the TPO type roof as mounted on the Camplite ?

gclewis

K Syrah Syrah

This is a good question, and one that I have myself. Has anyone tried to add solar to your roof? How did you do it? What equipment would you recommend?
Thanks!
2018 CL14DBS XL Platinum
TV='14 Nissan Pathfinder
...as Doris says, with a bold red in hand, "Whatever will be, will be."
😁🍷

DocktorJJ

I am seeking and answer also to this. Also what flexible panels are you looking at? So far what I have found is need a EFTE film panel. NOT PET used on 1st generation panels. These are the coatings used on the surfaces. EFTE Yes!!  PET NO!!!!

2ndly I am looking for higher outputs that 100 amp. I would like 600-1000watts on the roof. 6-10 panels?
3rdly I want to go with newer higher tech battery bank - these are vent free and can be placed inside the trailer and have far superior discharge and charge properties.

Finally ANYONE with a Camp Lite 21RBS or 21BHS that have installed any kind of roof solar panels I would love to hear from you????
2017 Camplite 21RBS
2015 Toyota Tundra
Central Florida

Bluewaterbound

What type of batteries are you looking at using?
Thanks

DocktorJJ

Not sure yet on the batteries - think like the ones used for the power tools but obliviously larger sizes - lithium ion? This is a work in progress will let everyone know on the other forum as I expect this one will die about June with Thor (SORE), getting rid of Camp Lites. 
2017 Camplite 21RBS
2015 Toyota Tundra
Central Florida

DocktorJJ

I am looking at LenSun solar panels.  They have the 2nd generation EFTE coating on them.  First generation panels have PET coating on them and I have seen U tube videos showing delamination after just 1 year - but they cost less.  Conventional panels have up to a 25 yr warrantee.  Most flexible panels only a 2 year warrantee.
I would go conventional hard solar panels but hate the idea of at least 8 holes per panel in my roof.

5 - 100 watt flexible LenSun panels are selling for about $1,299.00 or $259.80 each panel; or about $2.60 per watt.
2017 Camplite 21RBS
2015 Toyota Tundra
Central Florida

Bluewaterbound

I'm looking at Sunpower panels due to their efficiency +20% compared to most cells in the industry.

I was looking at putting 4*100w panels on but only need 3 of these along with 2*100ah agm 12v batteries.

http://spectrum.sunpower.com/sites/default/files/uploads/resources/sp_E_Flex_110W_ds_en_ltr_523809D.pdf

Simple google search shows they can be bought from many vendors from 179-299.

Amazon has multiple vendors that say Sunpower for about $179/panel, but not sure if those are true gen 2 Maxeon cells on copper or not, if so a great deal and I'll put 4 on for that price.