2018 Camplite 21BHS - No Longer All Aluminum Flooring and Oher Changes

Started by kratt9, August 22, 2017, 09:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kratt9

Hey all,

First post here. Just picked up my custom 2018 21BHS aluminum package with a couch instead of the dinette. Love the trailer so far but after further investigation and staying in it for the first month to do QA and make sure everything is working as it should I came across a few things.

First, everything works great..... the things I have notice are the the underneath of the trailer is no longer all aluminum tube  piping. Anyone else encounter this. I think it's an azdel flooring. Seems like a cut corner to me. If I would have known before hand I would have got an older model. If I'm paying top dollar I want top dollar products. I feel a few soft spots in the floor as well.

Also there is no counter fold out extension. Would like the extra counter space if needed. Also they went with a furrion solar panel setup now instead of zamp. Would have been nice to know because I bought a zamp solar panel now I have to find an adapter if one even exists.

Also the bunk looks like they got rid of the aluminum bars underneath and just azdel plank. Not sure the weight capacity on this now.

Like I said everything works great so far but these corners have been cut leading me to think they are getting cheaper with the new models.

Anyone have this experience?

Mitch

The floor change has been discussed in a couple of threads, the laminate system is the new standard and has been for at least a few months if not the entire year.  No more AL floor.  Opinions vary as to whether this change is good, bad or neutral.  I have a 2103 13QBB and a couple of weekends ago did a pretty thorough walk-around of some new 16's (DBS and TBS) my thought is that the new ones are not as sturdily designed as the old ones, that being said I'm not sure that makes them bad in any way.  I'm beginning to think the old ones were just really good and the new ones are more in line with the industry as a whole.

A couple of the other major changes would be the TPO roof vs Aluminum roof , the spring axle vs the torsion axle and single axle vs dual axle.

RockorSomething

I spoke with a Livin Lite regional sales rep about concerns regarding the new flooring material and construction.

Below is an internal memo (Blue text) he forwarded to me.

Good morning Team.

The following are the laminated floor information.

·         Absolutely NO WOOD in the super structure, including the floor system

·         5 layers-We use 5 layers to construct the floor.  Lamilux fiberglass top, 1-layer of Azdel, polystyrene(High-density block foam insulation), lastly another layer of Azdel and Darco protective wrap

·         Most laminated floor systems use wood product called luan, LL DOES NOT use wood.  We have thoroughly tested(weight per sq inch) this new and improved floor with the fiberglass top layer. it has outperformed the luan constructed laminated floor system used by many manufacturers in the RV industry.

·         Aluminum framed floor. R-value is 10 VS previous way was R-0

·         Heat/Cold transfer is less do to the insulated floor over the aluminum floor

·         High-density Block foam adds noise reduction 

·         More comfortable to stand on, Smooth fiberglass top, no ridges like the aluminum floor system

·         This new advanced floor is lighter weight than the old floor system. 

So according to the information above, the Azdel flooring is still stronger than the Luan flooring many in the industry are currently using.
(From what I've been able to find, it would seem Livin Lite is one of the only manufacturers using Azdel in their flooring.)

Furthermore, after gathering information from other sources/forums, I learned that Luan flooring is significantly less expensive than the Azdel counterpart Livin Lite adopted. So for whatever it's worth, it would appear Livin Lite is still exceeding the rest of the industry, despite the opportunity to further cut cost had they chosen to use Luan.

Time will tell.
Until that point, I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

Capt J-rod

The changes that have been made are generally consider neutral at this point. The TPO roof is applied over azdel, so there is no wood waiting to rot in the event of a leak. Not as durable as aluminum, but not the end of the world. The flooring is a laminated composite... Again zero wood for rotting, and not nearly as cold. The floor and roof are what made me purchase my 2015 rather than a new unit. My wife is not in love with the cold floor. The wooden pressboard cabinets are considered an upgrade. I don't know if there is an aluminum frame under the pressboard. I love the aluminum framed azdel cabinets in my trailer. It is a different type of trailer. It is not "plush". The problem I have with the other mfg's "plush" is that it is all a cheap knock off. Wallpaper that looks like tile, press board that looks like wood, cheap fabrics and foam that look like a luxury sofa, and none of it is built to last. If I want plush, then I will stay at a marriot hotel. If I want a camper that was designed to be used for 25 years and not self destruct, I will use my camp lite. These "glampers" are just lipstick on a pig. I will say that the frame and walls are still intact on the new units. They are still a much better option than the stick framed mfgs that spit out 35 campers a day. When it comes time to change campers it will be a hard process. I can't honestly say that I would own a camplite if I would have had to buy the new model with the changes. I also see that they are making a fiberglass unit now. I'm not excited or impressed. Only the future know where the changes are taking the product.

klaker

The plastic floor is a joke, just another cost savings using inferior materials.

Does anyone know how long the floor will last? I know it won't last as long as aluminum.

/rant.