Shore power to 12 V power

Started by Mr Smith, July 29, 2017, 06:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Smith

How do you get the 12 V to stay on after you disconnect shore power or disconnect from the running vehicle.  Is there a transfer switch or something to use 12 V power. Because after I disconnect from my van or I disconnect from the shore power my batteries will not kick in everything goes dead any help. thank you Mr Smith
Ps  I have 12.37 V to the  Gray circuit breaker on the bottom of the frame.
2017 cl 21 rbs
2017 CL 21RBS  aluminum cabinets, dinette
2000 Ford E-150 4.6L  conversion van

djmiller

There should be nothing you need to do.  Livinlite does not install a battery but assuming the battery your dealer supplied is charged the first thing I would look at is 2 suspect fuses.

1 - is an inline fuse for the battery usually on the hitch between the battery and the converter.
2 - the reverse polarity fuse in the converter.  This one is located under the converter door and labeled accordingly.

DavidM

Quote from: Mr Smith on July 29, 2017, 06:27:04 PM
Because after I disconnect from my van or I disconnect from the shore power my batteries will not kick in everything goes dead.

The above statement tells me that the circuit from the TV to the converter and to its devices is working properly. So there is probably no problem with the reverse polarity fuse on the converter.

Batteries are installed by the dealer and most installations in my observations do not have a fuse protecting the battery. But if it does have a fuse then as Dan notes above it may be blown.

If there is no fuse then use a voltmeter to trace down what is happening. On my trailer the TV's charging circuit is tied to the battery and then runs back to the converter. There may be a missing or loose connection at the battery or in the junction box attached to the tongue frame that prevents battery power from reaching the converter.

David

Mr Smith

Thank you for the replies. I just got back from Wisconsin Dells with the family for the first trip and just use shore  power. Everything worked great on the shore power. I just have a few things to modify or change to make it a little better for me.  But before I head to Texas to find a house to live in I have to fix the power for the battery, and fix the potable water location with that blind Spicket.  I will let you know when I find it will take me a few days.
Thank you very much Mr Smith

Mr Smith

Thank you very much for the replies. I traced it down to a defective 50 amp fuse mounted to the frame, one of the studs was pulled out for some reason I don't know why.  So I replaced it and all is well. Thank you very much for all the help from everybody. Mr Smith