Vail Sport Tires

Started by Mepat, August 08, 2017, 05:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mepat

We purchased a Camplite 14dbs about two weeks ago. The trailer has Vail Sport tires on it that looked good. Dealer thought they were original to the trailer and said it hasn't been used much. We thought we had great tires for our extended travels.

Then last week one of the tires went flat apparently from a piece of glass. Had it plugged and then it went flat again. In the process of doing research on buying a new tire we found out the tires were recalled in 2014 due to possible crash dangers.

We have gotten the run around today from dealer and manufacturer concerning the recall. We are on the road with more miles to go so had no choice today but to find and buy new tires (one installed today and the rest tomorrow).

Did anyone else experience the Vail Sport recall? Any suggestions on how to proceed? We were told by the tire dealer to hang on to the old tires in case the recall is honored and we are reimbursed. It will be a challenge to travel in a small trailer with five old tires but we plan to do it for a while at this point. Thanks for any advice.

Capt J-rod

I have switched to good year marathons. Maybe not the best, still made overseas, but they have been very dependable. Never another Carlisle tire on anything. Absolutely horrible.

Mepat

We heard good things about the Goodyears. The first tire dealer we went to tried to sell us Carlisles. We got out of there as quickly as we could. We purchased Sumitomos at the next dealer. Sounded like good tires. Thanks for the suggestion

Capt J-rod

Goodyear has a new trailer tire that is supposed to be made in USA. I have not confirmed this, but I am rolling Chinese tires right now which gives me the willies. Check the speed ratings on your tires. Most trailer tires are only rated for 65MPH. Kinda makes you squirm when you are rolling down the highway getting passed by other rigs. Be sure to service those bearings as well!!!

djsamuel

Quote from: Capt J-rod on August 09, 2017, 08:20:45 PM
Goodyear has a new trailer tire that is supposed to be made in USA. I have not confirmed this, but I am rolling Chinese tires right now which gives me the willies. Check the speed ratings on your tires. Most trailer tires are only rated for 65MPH. Kinda makes you squirm when you are rolling down the highway getting passed by other rigs. Be sure to service those bearings as well!!!

The Good Year Endurance tires are the new ST tires made in the US.  I've heard a lot of good things so far, but they haven't been on the market long.

The Vail tires on my 21BHS were garbage, although I did get about 8,000 miles out of them.  I had one replaced under warranty due to a molding defect in the sidewall.  I got a flat in one when an amzingly small brad punctured the tire.  Fortunately it was a slow leak.  Finally, when I returned from a trip to Tennessee, I noticed a large slice in the tread of one tire and about a 4" piece of tread was pulling away from the tire.  I replaced them with the new Carlisle Radial Trail tires.  I got the Radial Trail RH tires, but now they sell the Radial Trail HDs.  In spite of Carlisle's past reputation, these tires are really good.  On other forums, there are more and more positive reviews as the miles pile up.  They are rated for 81MPH.  They tow great and the durability so far is outstanding.  I would not hesitate to get them again, although the Good Year Endurance tires are certainly tempting.  Of course Maxxis is an option as well.
2013 Camplite 21BHS

Mepat

Thanks for the responses. Liking our new tires so far.

Gibby

Well, this past weekend found that our tires (those Vail Sport) had some cracks in the sidewall. They only had about 3 years and 12,000 km on them. Besides the tread was wearing quite bad on them too. Was going to replace them next spring anyway, just had to do it a bit sooner.

Went with some Westlake radial tires (recommended by my tire guy as they have had few if any problems with them), and trust me when I say it was like night and day pulling now. No more wagging back there any more.

Some food for thought!
2014 Camplite 21RBS
2021 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5L V6 EcoBoost