Aluminum?

Started by Vince, August 06, 2017, 09:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vince

Hi all.  Have been shopping for a camper and discovered Livin Lite. I like the 21bhs.  I was drawn to them because I read somewhere about their all aluminum construction. Living in Florida and seeing many friends campers leaking i thought this might be perfect. Having a camper with this construction seems like a great buy, less to go wrong.

After doing more research I see that the new models don't have aluminum roofs or floors.  Maybe a stupid question but wasn't it better to have aluminum roofs and floors than not to?  Should I be looking for an older model?  If so when did it change?  Also why did they discontinue the larger size?  Thanks in advance

Capt J-rod

This is a heated topic from what I gather. I prefer the aluminum roof and floors. They have their pros and cons to each. The rubber fabric roofs are pretty much industry standard. Like anything if properly maintained they last. I scoured the earth to find my 2015 to keep the original design. If the original guys wanted fabric them it would have been there. I guess the consolation prize is that they used adzel under the roof, so it won't "rot". will it mold? We don't know. If aluminum is what you want then start your search for a 2015 or older unit. Thor purchased living lite. I'm sure this was done to keep the line alive and keep the product feasible. The floors are also not "wood" but they aren't tongued and grooved aluminum. Anyway you look, the product is still way better than any of the competition. I was very fortunate to grab mine. The previous owner stayed in the camp lite line up but went to a toy hauler. He was very hesitant to switch due to the changes. Either way I think the design will provide you with a much better product than the competition. I would recommend staying with the aluminum cabinetry. Spend some time looking at them and make your own decision.

Vince

Thank you Cap.  So a 2015 also would have aluminum cabinets then?

Capt J-rod

Mine has an aluminum tube frame and azdel wood grain panels. They look nice but have a plastic feel to the touch. Considering all other cabinets are wood press board with wood grain stickers, I'm not concerned. The doors all have aluminum frames, and continuous piano style hinges. The latches are sweet to and never open when rolling down the road. I love them but they are a more industrial feel. If they ever got wet it would be no big deal.

whitecastleman

I don't believe that Livin Lite is still making the "all aluminum" claim for their campers.  Aluminum "framing" but not all aluminum.  Changes came about when the company was sold and went through some changes with the new corporate owners.

djsamuel

In all of them, the cabinet frames and shelving are still aluminum.  In some, only the front cabinet bezels are wood.  The big difference is the aluminum/azdel doors like I have on my 2013 21BHS have those nice latches that prevent to doors from accidentally opening during travel.  The key to all of them is the fact that all cabinetry and counters are integral parts of of the frame.  After 4 years, my 21BHS is just as solid as it was the day I bout it.  It has been through some tough traveling from Florida out to Arizona and Utah as well as up as far as Tennessee.  No wooden frames to loosen up over time and screws to fall out.

Other than the cabinet bezels, there is still no wood.  The flooring is now an aluminum/azdel composite of some sort that provides better insulation (my aluminum floor can get really cold).  The roof was changed because it is easier to get a good seal.  If you ever look at the aluminum roof at the start of the front radius, you will see it is not a pretty site.  It is very difficult to form the aluminum at that point.  I've had a few leaks with my aluminum roof that I needed to seal in that area, but fortunately the water did no damage.  I still prefer aluminum for longevity, but it is not a perfect solution either.
2013 Camplite 21BHS

Capt J-rod

In the world of campers there is no solution. Camplite made a great attempt to resolve most of the nightmares of a camper. As stated, the aluminum roof where it meets the rounded front is not pretty. the metal is arched with the curvature of the roof from side to side and can't make the smooth transition to the curved nose without some wrinkles. I have always wondered why the commercial grade white roofing that is used on buildings is not used on campers. I used it on my old jayco and it was bomb proof. I know it is heavier blah blah, but it was literally 4x thicker than the camper roofing. I am starting to understand why people are buying all aluminum inclosed trailers and building their own camper. Sadly this is another example of how low bid dominates every industry and the mega mergers are not to make a company stronger but to control the competition's offerings. If you can't beat them buy them out.

Vince

craigd

Got over 20,000 miles on my 2015 14DBS still looks brand new. It has the dual axles which makes it very stable for pulling and also able to carry more weight. Have zero issues with the roof, the bend in the front is near perfect no wrinkles. All aluminum, dual axles, slide and full bath is why I bought it. As far as I am concerned there isn't a better 14 foot camper out there for any amount of money.
2015 14DBS

tco2612

I have a 2014 Camplite allaluinum mighty 11 ft. FK with tipout bed, air, heat Off road package and more very nice clean camper if anybody is interested in purchase.

sophiacruzht

This Tru Kolors Chiefs sweatshirt is more than fan gear; it's a confidence booster. Striding into a room wearing it, I feel the energy shift bold, proud, and ready for victory.