Window Help?

Started by Capt J-rod, August 04, 2017, 09:03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt J-rod

Hi guys this is my first post to the forum. I just pulled the camper out today and my kitchen window is cracked up by the hinge. Apparently dometic windows are Seitz windows? I need to replace the glass/acrylic. The trailer is a 2015, but I don't see any info in the literature for the windows. I was pretty surprised to see this issue as these windows are very highly rated. Luckily it was the smallest window on the trailer, had it been the one in the slide I would have been very ill. Is this common for these to crack? The trailer is inside stored unless it is out on the road. I use Plexus acrylic polish to clean them. We use it on airplane windshields all the time and it is designed for acrylic and polycarbonate. I guess Monday will be the judgement day. Have a great weekend to all.

Capt J-rod

I have an update on my window. Camp lite is no longer using our European Dometic tip out windows. Parts are proving to be very difficult. I have the Dometic parts breakdown and parts number list. I called a dealer, then living lite, then dometic (twice) and after a 45 minute conversation I finally got the numbers. I was unable to buy the window direct, so now I had to get a local dometic dealer involved. He is less than excited about the process and I am waiting for him to reach dometic with the part number to get a quote to order the replacement. Short story long.... Be very careful with your windows and take great care to make sure the wind doesn't catch them. The actuators do not stop the wind from grabbing them and swinging them wide open.

Duncan Glass is now the USA importer for Seitz windows. Once this connection was made it was smooth sailing. Dometic sold their line to Duncan. Living Lite customer service was awesome and Taylor is a parts ninja. I'll attach the link to the new supplier. These little plastic cookie sheet windows are VERY expensive. I cracked the smallest one above the sink... $250 for the part to repair it. Hopefully I can save someone a lot of headaches. Also make sure to write down or take a picture for your records of the AGM number in the corner of your windows. This is the only hope you have for replacing them. They are metric and measured by millimeters not inches. I hope to get the new one in two weeks and I will give the final update. Dan Miller was also awesome with the support on this one.

http://www.duncansys.com

tbwrench

Thank you for the information. I hope I never need to use it! :) .

djsamuel

Thank you!  I made sure to store this.  So far, no issues with the windows on my 2013 21BHS.
2013 Camplite 21BHS

Capt J-rod

Well as for the next chapter, camp lite stepped up to the plate and made it happen on this one. If you ever need customer support, ask for Taylor... She is top notch. they went way above and beyond. Dan Miller was also very helpful. It was a great feeling to realize the commitment these guys have to their product. Parts are definitely available through Duncan if you ever find yourself with a window issue.

djsamuel

Quote from: Capt J-rod on August 09, 2017, 05:59:57 PM
Well as for the next chapter, camp lite stepped up to the plate and made it happen on this one. If you ever need customer support, ask for Taylor... She is top notch. they went way above and beyond. Dan Miller was also very helpful. It was a great feeling to realize the commitment these guys have to their product. Parts are definitely available through Duncan if you ever find yourself with a window issue.

This is great to hear.  Thanks for letting us know.
2013 Camplite 21BHS

rab0325

Quote from: tbwrench on August 09, 2017, 12:24:10 PM
Thank you for the information. I hope I never need to use it! :) .

Thank you for the link to Duncan. We're on this same quest/same window. I've talked to all the same people at this point and hope to have a solution soon. Now to find the cylinders and day/night shades.

RHS68003

Anyone have any information on where I can get a replacement day/night shade for the sink window?  Have a 2013 16ft Camplite trailer.  Are these shades repairable if the unit is unscrewed from the wall?  My shade was cut on the rail and now straddles it.  Thanks

djmiller

The windows were distributed through Dometic https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/products/climate/windows-and-doors/windows
We no longer utilize these windows.  The Dometic PN for the shade should be DOM13022204.

-Dan

RHS68003

Thanks Dan- your post was helpful. 

JazzyPigsGA

Thanks Dan, when did you stop using. They look like what we have on our 2018. We are seeing a stress fracture starting where the guide attaches and will need the remedy while under warranty.

djmiller

Stopped using them with the 2018 model year.  There may have been a few very early 2018's that may have had the original Dometic windows.

Dometic was the distributor of these windows and they were manufactured in Europe.  The way I understand it Dometic was having problems getting them from the manufacturer.  They had however been well received over the years.  The new windows look very similar but are a darker tint. Most everything else has been improved from the integrated window shade, the mechanism that holds the widow open, to the latches. The old windows used a detent cylinder system to hold the windows open that was very prone to failure. The latches were also not adjustable

The new windows solves these problems. (see attached image)

djsamuel

Dan,

Are these new windows available as replacements for those of us with the Dometic windows?  I'm having no issues at all, but looking to see what I can use as replacements if necessary.  I see Duncan now handles the original windows, but looking to see if there are alternatives.

Thanks,

Doug
2013 Camplite 21BHS

DavidM

Are the new windows double pane plastic like the old Dometic/Seitz windows?

I agree that the latches and support rods were a PITA on the old windows, so it sounds like an improvement.

David

djmiller

Doug,

Currently they are still available.  But they are imported however we have had delays in the past getting them here.
The new windows are Thermo or Dual Pane  constructed just like the original Dometic.
The size has changed on a few of the windows so some may not be able to be directly replaced.