2018 Quicksilver 10.0

Started by Entropy3XD, August 04, 2017, 03:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mitch

I don't think manufacturers frequently return to previous specs unless the buying public has an option to purchase that spec somewhere else. In the case of the floor, I haven't seen it available from anyone now so I wouldn't expect Thor to change it back, they have no fiscal reason to do so. They care about making money, to do so they can raise prices, lower costs or combine the two.  This floor is a cheaper option on the same playing field as their competitors, case closed. 

whitecastleman

I also doubt that Thor/LL will go back to the "all aluminum" feature that the LL company was originally built upon.  LL originally built a great product that many people were willing to pay extra for since it filed a niche market.  Little company gets bought out by big company, changes are made, corners are cut to increase revenue, quality control is lacking, and customer service is poor.  I used to be an enthusiastic LL supporter, but now I encourage people to stay away from the newer models and look for a good used one instead.   

smjcolsga

Quote from: Mitch on August 09, 2017, 10:24:53 AM
I don't think manufacturers frequently return to previous specs unless the buying public has an option to purchase that spec somewhere else. In the case of the floor, I haven't seen it available from anyone now so I wouldn't expect Thor to change it back, they have no fiscal reason to do so.

Agreed. What they can, and hopefully will, do is listen to all of the customer feedback these threads are generating. Personally, with the exception of the current floor design, I think the QS is still a solidly built camper. If they take another shot at the floor design, say by adding a stiffer and tougher composite bottom layer and, particularly in the case of the QS 10, add a few supporting cross members over the large open spans of the frame so that the floor felt 'solid' underfoot, then I think customers would be more accepting and possibly see this as a logical evolution of design using modern materials and manufacturing techniques.

RockorSomething

Im cross-posting the information below as I believe its relevant to the discussion...

Had a chance to speak with a representative at Livinlite about the flooring concerns being expressed here.

With his permission, I'm posting below an internal memo he forwarded to me.

Good morning Team.

The following are the laminated floor information.

·         Absolutely NO WOOD in the super structure, including the floor system

·         5 layers-We use 5 layers to construct the floor.  Lamilux fiberglass top, 1-layer of Azdel, polystyrene(High-density block foam insulation), lastly another layer of Azdel and Darco protective wrap

·         Most laminated floor systems use wood product called luan, LL DOES NOT use wood.  We have thoroughly tested(weight per sq inch) this new and improved floor with the fiberglass top layer. it has outperformed the luan constructed laminated floor system used by many manufacturers in the RV industry.

·         Aluminum framed floor. R-value is 10 VS previous way was R-0

·         Heat/Cold transfer is less do to the insulated floor over the aluminum floor

·         High-density Block foam adds noise reduction 

·         More comfortable to stand on, Smooth fiberglass top, no ridges like the aluminum floor system

·         This new advanced floor is lighter weight than the old floor system. 

I have to admit that having the opportunity to discuss the changes in detail went a long way to help alleviate my concerns.

smjcolsga

Quote from: RockorSomething on August 11, 2017, 03:47:42 PM

I have to admit that having the opportunity to discuss the changes in detail went a long way to help alleviate my concerns.

I'm glad that LL has confirmed our observations about the new floor construction, and I'm sure the overall materials used in its construction are up to the task. However, I still feel that they could have done a better job implementing it by adding additional floor supports (at least in the QS 10). When you feel the floor 'give' beneath your feet it does not inspire confidence in the new materials or design.. This is especially true when the previous model was well known for its rock-solid stability. This is only my opinion, you should judge for yourself.

dream34

Honestly, I'm still not sold on any of the changes, but as luck would have it I was able to scour the internet and find a few 2017 8.0 trailers still for sale. I was able to get one at a bit below invoice since the 2018's are now on the lot, so all around its a win for me. 8) I did have to pull the trigger a bit earlier than I would have liked, but I also spent about $2300 less than I was expecting, so still a win. I should be picking it up over Labor Day weekend. All of that said I REALLY appreciate those of you who brought the changes to my attention, had I not known and waited until next spring/summer to purchase I would have been extremely disappointed.

smjcolsga

Quote from: dream34 on August 23, 2017, 02:26:10 PM
Honestly, I'm still not sold on any of the changes, but as luck would have it I was able to scour the internet and find a few 2017 8.0 trailers still for sale.

My lovely wife and I were just up in Kentucky this week viewing the eclipse and I made a point to stop by a dealer there to look at a 2017 model QS to see an aluminum floor model for myself. In case anyone's in the market, Garland RV in Hopkinsville, Ky has one unsold 2017 QS 8.0 left on their lot.

dream34

Quote from: smjcolsga on August 23, 2017, 02:38:45 PM
Quote from: dream34 on August 23, 2017, 02:26:10 PM
Honestly, I'm still not sold on any of the changes, but as luck would have it I was able to scour the internet and find a few 2017 8.0 trailers still for sale.

My lovely wife and I were just up in Kentucky this week viewing the eclipse and I made a point to stop by a dealer there to look at a 2017 model QS to see an aluminum floor model for myself. In case anyone's in the market, Garland RV in Hopkinsville, Ky has one unsold 2017 QS 8.0 left on their lot.

Nope, I just claimed it  ;)

smjcolsga

Quote from: dream34 on August 23, 2017, 03:02:52 PM
Nope, I just claimed it  ;)

Yep, the '17s are going FAST! Glad you got that when you did, it looked like a good one!

Entropy3XD

[quote author=smjcolsga link=topic=436.msg2117#msg2117 date=1503513525

[/quote]

Hey, I was close to you this week and almost drove up to Garland RV.  I was at Land Between the Lakes.