Fiberglass Camplites

Started by djsamuel, August 01, 2017, 10:12:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djsamuel

What is the plan for the fiberglass Camplites, especially in regards to continuing with the aluminum sided campers.  I've seen on a few message boards, including GoodSam, questions regarding the future of Camplite aluminum trailers since people are noticing the fiberglass sided units.  The general comments assume that this is just a cost cutting change and Camplites will soon be the same as other trailers. 
2013 Camplite 21BHS

tinkeringtechie

Fiberglass sides? Really?

So the roof turned to rubber, the floor turned to foam, the cabinets are now MDF, and the walls are now fiberglass? What's left?

I guess there's still an aluminum frame, but that's pretty common for "light" trailers. Even my old Rpod had aluminum framed walls.

DavidM

The original Camplite design philosophy was light weight and low maintenance through the use of aluminum frame and skin components and the composite (Azdel) interior. Thor has tried to stay true to the low maintenance aspect but has chipped away at the light weight aspect.

The rubber roof, composite floor and now maybe fiberglass skin components all will not rot if exposed to water and except for the roof are low maintenance. But all are heavier than their aluminum equivalent- well maybe not the floor, it is apparently pretty thin -;).

You can see this in the specs for equivalent units before Thor vs after. My pre Thor 2013 16 TBS had a listed weight under 3,000 lbs. Now it is 3,370 lbs with one less axle. Some of this may be due different measuring standards or to more interior features that weigh more, but the original LLs tried to stay simple and lean.

So, the weight creep is the bigger issue for me. If the 16TBS were to get to 3,500 lbs and it is heading there, I would not consider buying one again.

LL needs to consider this as they replace lightweight components with heavier ones even if they are no rot, low maintenance.

David