spare tire removal/replacement on 21 BHS

Started by jandi, July 30, 2017, 08:45:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jandi

Hello,
       Was wondering if anyone has devised a way to make dropping the spare tire from under the frame then replacing it any easier ?  It looks like a real chore for one person, especially at night or if the weather was bad. I have a few primitive ideas but was hoping there might be some better ideas out there.  THANKS

DavidM

I just did it on my 16TBS. Had to drop it to check the tire pressure because it was mounted upside down so I couldn't get to the valve stem. And when I tried to put it back the right way, the bolt holding it to the frame was too short because the bolt circle dishes out that direction. Stupid, stupid, stupid, LL. And this was a pre Thor 2013!!!

It wasn't easy. I worked my body underneath the trailer so I could support one side of the tire with my knees. Then while holding the other up with one hand, I stabbed the bolt into its threaded socket. It took dozens of tries to finally get it in place.

Again, one of the dumbest designs I have seen even if it were installed the right way. The wrong way makes it absurd and I will bet that many never check their tire pressure.

David

LANA/LARRY

Thanks for pointing out this engineering shortcoming. We only recently got our CL21RBS, so I haven't yet looked into a good solution but will keep you informed if I get something practical and safe to work. Seems to me the undermount spare on our trailer at best would be a nightmare to remove / replace if one had a flat, and at worst a very high potential for injury. At least the valve stem on mine does point downward and is accessible for checking pressure.

Two quick thoughts, if I had to remove my spare, I would place some secure support under the tire before removing the mounting bolt so tire wouldn't fall clear to ground. Also, glad I have a Good Sam membership to tend to a flat while on the road!

2018 CL21RBS
2016 Tundra Dbl Cab Tow Pkg 5.7 L

djsamuel

Airstream mounts the spare under the camper as well.  I wonder if they have a better means of getting the tire out and remounting it.
2013 Camplite 21BHS

LANA/LARRY

I am looking at two possibilities for an improved spare mounting system. Most promising is RAL"Hide-A-Spare" rack system (ttps://www.amazon.com/BAL-28217-Hide-Spare-Storage/product-reviews/B00KPQYZ6O/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=avp_only_reviews#reviews-filter-bar) which is a universal product made for travel trailers. It may need some modification to fit specific trailer.

A second alternative is a Dorman Spare Tire Hoist. These are typically used on pick up trucks which store spares under the the bed near rear. I have emailed Dorman for suggestions on our trailer application.

We may be able to mount spare below or above trailer tounge, but not my favorite... sort of ugly and tounge is already "busy" on my rig.

As time allows, I likely will try the RAL system & let forum know how it works out.
2018 CL21RBS
2016 Tundra Dbl Cab Tow Pkg 5.7 L