Cracked Frame Welds

Started by tinkeringtechie, January 07, 2017, 05:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tinkeringtechie

Several users have seen some rather scary looking cracks in welds, missing welds, inadequate welds. What's the factory policy on these defects? How long do you guarantee the workmanship on the frame welds? What's the best course of action to get them fixed?

djsamuel

This is a really important question that needs to be answered, even though I agree that the occurrence of this is pretty rare. 
2013 Camplite 21BHS

djmiller

Warranty information is contained in your Owner's manual.  Older units 2016 and prior had a (1) year bumper to hitch limited warranty and (3) year structural limited warranty.
2017 units have a (2) year limited warranty.

tinkeringtechie

So if a crack forms after 3 (or now 2) years it's not covered by the warranty, but what's the best course of action to get them fixed? Most dealers have little to no experience welding aluminum.

hwagley

I have recently experienced cracks in the frame- very concerned. I have a 2013 16BHB - 2nd owner.

DavidM

Your best choice if your warranty has expired (and probably the best choice even with a warranty) is to find a welding shop that does aluminum. The welding on LLs isn't particularly difficult, but aluminum is a different animal than steel and you need the right equipment and skills to do it right.

Ask the shop what current projects are aluminum and preferably look at some first.

David