Caveat Emptor -2018 QS 10.0

Started by smjcolsga, July 24, 2017, 03:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smjcolsga

Quote from: DocktorJJ on July 30, 2017, 10:45:20 PM
My 2017 21RBS, has the aluminum floor covered with vinyl flooring. No floor leaks to date.
That is the kind of floor I was expecting to see on the 2018. In fact, I had seen only a bare aluminum decked QS 6 in person prior to ordering so the dealer directed me to a what I now guess was a 2017 Camplite he had on the lot to show me what the 10.0 floor would be like: that one had some sort of vinyl over the aluminum deck, which made it a little thicker and somewhat insulated from the bare metal. Not what the 2018 has despite all prior info I was given saying it did have the the aluminum deck and removable dinette (sales order description, online videos on their website, etc.)

smjcolsga

Quote from: DocktorJJ on July 30, 2017, 10:45:20 PM
I would NOT buy a new Living Lite for the reasons you have raised.  I CAN NOT recommend the current product! 
For certain some may see these changes as dubious improvements to a tried and true product, especially if one were basing a purchase decision on the previous offerings, and I personally would not have bought a 'first year' run when so many changes were introduced... the 2018 is essentially an all-new frame-up redesign. While we've been hitting all of the negatives so far, I will say that the new frame seems pretty robust and well built. The larger wheel wells are not bad if you don't mind that the dinette's removability is sacrificed, they're actually pretty strong looking imo. My unit does not have the problem of too short or kinked hoses and unfilled holes mentioned by the other owner but does have misaligned benches so it would seem production run procedures on these aren't quite dialed in just yet. The big issue in my mind is with the floor. If they would have built it with a really stiff composite bottom layer that could support an average person's weight across frame members without flexing then a lot of the other 'sins' could have been forgiven. Many would also look on the new insulated floor as a positive change rather than as a potential future liability. I think that was where they missed the mark on the whole redesign effort. Just my opinion YMMV.

Entropy3XD

I'm in agreement with smjcolsga that the frame is solid and I can fix some of the quality issues on my own.  The floor......it's a big issue for me.  The rest of the camper seems solid, but the flex in the floor and the look of the material underneath the unit just makes the whole thing feel cheap.  I purchased a Quicksilver hoping to have a camper frame and body which could last for 20 years, and I really don't think this one will come close to that. 

Entropy3XD

Found another issue last night:

23.  On the kitchenette, the pictures on the website and brochure show the top, bottom and back edges of the cabinet to be finished off with aluminum edging.  On the 2018, there is no aluminum edging, and the sides are just glued in place, which leave a sharp edge along the cabinet.  The sides of the cabinet have also started to separate from the frame, as there is no aluminum edging to keep it in place.  The metal shavings in the corners of the cabinet are pretty much impossible to clean out, and are stuck in place due to the glue they use to adhere the sides of the cabinet to the frame.

I've reached out to Livin' Lite, as well as the dealer I purchased from.  Livin' Lite requested video or pictures, so I took videos of the issues and provided them today.  I'm waiting to hear from them on a resolution.   

grecamp

Obviously LL has a very relaxed final quality control process in place as especially those shavings must be very easy to spot. Perhaps profit margins are very low on these campers?

Anyway, I had two families come to see my 8.0 last weekend on a campground here in Ohio. I advised them to avoid new Quicksilver and look for used units based on what I am reading here. Not that the older models were perfect!

Entropy3XD

Quote from: grecamp on August 03, 2017, 01:40:56 PM
Obviously LL has a very relaxed final quality control process in place as especially those shavings must be very easy to spot. Perhaps profit margins are very low on these campers?

Anyway, I had two families come to see my 8.0 last weekend on a campground here in Ohio. I advised them to avoid new Quicksilver and look for used units based on what I am reading here. Not that the older models were perfect!

You can see some of the issues with the inside in the video linked below.  I'll have the video covering the undercarriage uploaded this evening, which is the one I think most people are interested in seeing.  I certainly don't expect perfection, but the quality is awful and I'm really upset I purchased a camper with an advertised aluminum floor, but did not receive one.  The dealer seemed pretty upset as well, since LL didn't reach out to anyone to inform them.  I spoke to another dealer this week and they were also not informed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2OZcum6GnI

MarshHawk

Oh...this really makes me sick to my stomach! I have a 2018 waiting for me at the dealer, I don't even have it yet. I researched the heck out of Manufacturers to make this purchase. I went with livivLite based on their past successes. I spent a pretty penny on this brand because of the quality. As a first timer, I am not happy hearing all this. Also, I'm not a handyman. I intend on knowing and maintaining my systems and my trailer, but I do not see myself climbing under and over the unit trying to repair things that shouldn't be improperly installed.  🤢
Karen
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Camplite 2018 CL16TBS
Newbie!!
Ford F-150 3.5L Eco Boost (GTDI)
10 speed trans 4x4 Off Road
Max Towing pkg.

Entropy3XD

Quote from: MarshHawk on August 03, 2017, 04:50:24 PM
Oh...this really makes me sick to my stomach! I have a 2018 waiting for me at the dealer, I don't even have it yet. I researched the heck out of Manufacturers to make this purchase. I went with livivLite based on their past successes. I spent a pretty penny on this brand because of the quality. As a first timer, I am not happy hearing all this. Also, I'm not a handyman. I intend on knowing and maintaining my systems and my trailer, but I do not see myself climbing under and over the unit trying to repair things that shouldn't be improperly installed.  🤢
Karen

Hey, another Marylander!  What dealer you getting it from?  I recommend reaching out to them, as they might not even be aware of the switch.

MarshHawk

Quote from: Entropy3XD on August 03, 2017, 05:33:46 PM

Hey, another Marylander!  What dealer you getting it from?  I recommend reaching out to them, as they might not even be aware of the switch.

I am actually traveling out to Illinois to get it. The local dealer in Gambrills Md. (still 2 1/2 hrs away..over the Bay Bridge to boot) didn't have what I wanted and frankly had an attitude I didn't like at all.  I still like the features of Livin Lite. I love the design and I had faith in the company. That is being a little shaken right now by these reports of problems.  I have heard quality control issues on all manufacturers I researched, so I'm going to stick with my choice. However I think it's a crying shame that the lack of pride of workman ship these days has people forced to accept sub par work because there isn't any other choice. And I mean that in relation to most things produced, not just RVs.
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Camplite 2018 CL16TBS
Newbie!!
Ford F-150 3.5L Eco Boost (GTDI)
10 speed trans 4x4 Off Road
Max Towing pkg.

Entropy3XD

Quote from: MarshHawk on August 04, 2017, 08:57:26 AM
Quote from: Entropy3XD on August 03, 2017, 05:33:46 PM

I am actually traveling out to Illinois to get it. The local dealer in Gambrills Md. (still 2 1/2 hrs away..over the Bay Bridge to boot) didn't have what I wanted and frankly had an attitude I didn't like at all.  I still like the features of Livin Lite. I love the design and I had faith in the company. That is being a little shaken right now by these reports of problems.  I have heard quality control issues on all manufacturers I researched, so I'm going to stick with my choice. However I think it's a crying shame that the lack of pride of workman ship these days has people forced to accept sub par work because there isn't any other choice. And I mean that in relation to most things produced, not just RVs.

I know which dealer you're talking about and that's where I discovered Livin' Lite as they had a 2017 8.0.  I ended up picking mine up in North Carolina last week.  I'll have the video covering floor and under carriage uploaded today.  After watching that, you may want to reach out to your dealer just to cover the details before you make the trip.

smjcolsga

Quote from: MarshHawk on August 04, 2017, 08:57:26 AM
being a little shaken right now by these reports of problems.

Keep in mind this thread is talking about recent changes to the Quicksilver 10.0 tent camper, the Camplites, if that's what you are looking at (judging by your signature line), are completely different campers and may not have the same changes described here. Another recent Camplite owner (JazzyPigsGa) has posted his/her impression of that model elsewhere on this site.

dream34

Just a quick question. Do these changes apply to the 8.0 and 8.1 trailers? Have the floors in those models been replaced with all composite, the 12v outlets done away with, and the dinette made immovable? If so I'm going to be in the market for one that is used.

Entropy3XD

Quote from: dream34 on August 08, 2017, 04:12:27 PM
Just a quick question. Do these changes apply to the 8.0 and 8.1 trailers? Have the floors in those models been replaced with all composite, the 12v outlets done away with, and the dinette made immovable? If so I'm going to be in the market for one that is used.

Yes, the floor is changed across the tent camper line, as well as the 12v outlet (replaced with USB).  I 99% sure one of the benches is not removable in the 8.0\8.1, as it needs to be modified for the bigger wheel wells.  The wheel wells are bigger because they now use 15" tires for the standard package. 

smjcolsga

Quote from: Entropy3XD on August 08, 2017, 04:59:00 PM
The wheel wells are bigger because they now use 15" tires for the standard package.

Just checked my 2018 QS 10 standard and it has 12" wheels with ST145R12 tires mounted albeit with larger wheel wells than before. There is now a minimum 3" clearance as measured at the top of the tire.

dream34

I will say that due to a few other projects (Home remodel/Europe trip) I will not be in the market to purchase until next summer/fall. Hopefully by then they have these issues addressed. If not I'll likely either look elsewhere or buy used. It may be me, but the whole composite floor issue and 12v delete just smacks of nothing more than cutting production costs and thinking the consumer will just take it. One of the main appeals of the trailer was the aluminum construction, including the floor. Being that I'm in the gulf south and have kids the durability of the floor is much more important than insulation. They need to get it together and remember the very subtle balance between profit margins and customer satisfaction, especially when producing such a niche market product.