Bent Couplers

Started by tinkeringtechie, January 07, 2017, 05:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tinkeringtechie

Several users (some with WDH, some without) have experienced bent couplers (myself included). What does the factory recommend for this situation? Replace? Reinforce? Upgrade? Will the factory cover the expense?

djsamuel

They did state they would send the side bolt hardware free of charge to those who sent in their VINs. I did so, but have not received anything to date.
2013 Camplite 21BHS

wakeboydb

My vin is H1004699  I'd  love to get the parts ahead of time if needed.
2017 21BHS

djmiller

wakeboydb - You unit was produced right at the same time we made the side bolts standard across everything. When we made the change we also added them to units in the yard.  So even though I have a starting VIN # which a bit after yours, yours may have already had that done.

djsamuel - I sent some out before I left for the holidays.  (15th December until the 3rd of January.)  When I got back .... we had the old forum deal going on so I very well could have missed yours and when it was taken down (not by us).....  I could not get to my personal messages. I expect if you had not gotten them yet, yours was missed along with possibly others.

For any other owners (21 and up Camplite travel trailers only.)  Please send me a message requesting them along with your VIN number and mailing address.

wakeboydb

Pm sent. Thanks. Well, I think I sent it, can you let me know if you got it or not please.
2017 21BHS

djmiller

Yep.  Got it sent you a reply!

tinkeringtechie

My question was for owners who have already experienced a bent coupler. Are you saying that they should just add side-bolts to a bent coupler?

djsamuel

Quote from: Dan Miller on January 09, 2017, 12:01:53 PM
wakeboydb - You unit was produced right at the same time we made the side bolts standard across everything. When we made the change we also added them to units in the yard.  So even though I have a starting VIN # which a bit after yours, yours may have already had that done.

djsamuel - I sent some out before I left for the holidays.  (15th December until the 3rd of January.)  When I got back .... we had the old forum deal going on so I very well could have missed yours and when it was taken down (not by us).....  I could not get to my personal messages. I expect if you had not gotten them yet, yours was missed along with possibly others.

For any other owners (21 and up Camplite travel trailers only.)  Please send me a message requesting them along with your VIN number and mailing address.

Dan,

i wanted to let you know I received the side bolts last week.  Thanks for your help.

Doug
2013 Camplite 21BHS

djmiller

Quote from: tinkeringtechie on January 09, 2017, 02:35:20 PM
My question was for owners who have already experienced a bent coupler. Are you saying that they should just add side-bolts to a bent coupler?

There were very few reports of actual bent couplers. To my knowledge it was limited to a few of the first 21ft units that had 5000lb. capacity couplers.
If you have a unit with a bent coupler, you should of course take it to your dealer for service as the coupler should be replaced.

nd1979

Quote from: Dan Miller on January 09, 2017, 12:01:53 PM

Thanks Dan...just sent a pm to you.

djsamuel

After installing the kit Dan sent to me, i need to send a word of caution.  Don't blindly drill the hole at the dimensions sent in the directions.  I made that mistake the first time, only to find the bolt and nut interfered with the installation of the tongue jack.  I took a reciprocating saw and sawed through part of the nut and the bolt to shorten its length so the jack could be reinstalled.  I then moved the second bolt forward about an inch to clear the jack as well as the hitch mounting bolts. 
2013 Camplite 21BHS

nd1979

A big Thanks Doug.....this is good to know!

John

Mfitz

Dan,

Just sent a PM, can you confirm when the bolts have been sent out?

djmiller

Did you request any?  Was not a recall.

PYG RYDR

Will LL send side bolts for my 2016 TB?