Dining Table Flops Around On Post

Started by LANA/LARRY, July 22, 2017, 02:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LANA/LARRY

We just took delivery of a 2018 CL21RBS with Dining Nook in the slide out. A single center mounted post supports the table (sort of). The table flops around quite a bit with very little off center loading on it. We adjusted the post locking collar tight down to the floor mounting plate which helps a little, but table movement is still unacceptable.

We are considering installation of a second post along the long axis to at least help some of the length-wise up / down movement but of course this would be an obstruction for those seated at table.

Has anyone come up with a good practical solution to this issue you are willing to share?  Thanks.
2018 CL21RBS
2016 Tundra Dbl Cab Tow Pkg 5.7 L

wakeboydb

We had the same issue. I found that I didn't have the table fully snapped on to the post. There is still some movement but it is acceptable in our case.
2017 21BHS

tbwrench

I recently read somewhere (wish I could remember where) that Livin Lite has addressed this issue on current year model's. They have used a sturdier collar on the floor and table if I remember correctly. I will be checking into this.

If anyone from Livin Lite is able to speak on this please do so. I would (mostly) happily pay for a sturdier table.  :)

LANA/LARRY

We resolved our flopping table option by building a larger (34" x42") top and installing it with 42" dimension running toward wall of slide out. We have the booth option (in place of standard jack knife sofa) and only two of us to seat, so we sit on ends of booth toward center of trailer. Would you believe the provided cushions stacked three high match exactly with height of stock mounting post, so we just rearrange cushions to support entire width of table under it's end toward wall of slide out. I bought a new top mounting ring (on Amazon) & installed under table top (end toward center of trailer) to line up with existing post and floor mount. This set up provides a much larger, more stable table. Note it wouldn't be acceptable if more than two need to eat at a time.

Also, I found by using a strap wrench (rubber strap) to tighten down center post really tight, this helped some with stock table... but still too shakey for us. Extra room on new table is great for games, computer work, etc. too.
2018 CL21RBS

LANA/LARRY

Pictures of CL21RBS home made table top -
2018 CL21RBS

majofive

Can you see what flops around? Is it the hardware (post and connection) or the connection to the floor. Is the floor stable enough to support the movement of the table?

LANA/LARRY

The floor is stable / holds mounting ring solid. There is movement between mounting ring and post / locking ring no matter how tight I get it. Movement is less the more it is tightened, but never able to get it acceptably stable. Use a strap wrench to maximize tightening. There is also movement around table top ring and post, no matter how much downward force we put on table.

Note we greatly reduced issue by making another table top set up as in pictures above. We have found this much more stable and more roomy for two persons.

Hope this helps.
2018 CL21RBS

majofive

Thanks! I have a 2018 RBS on order and started looking at marine posts to help if it is an issue.

klaker

The factory table post is not a stable structure. You will need to install a different post or do what others did to shore up the stability.

Companies like ITC and Springfield Marine make locking table posts. My previous camper had a Springfield thread-lock post and it was very sturdy with not a lot of movement (it was small table and not very high though), I will be installing one on my 21BHS next year as it has to be better than the current set up.

bgewin

Quote from: LANA/LARRY on September 16, 2017, 05:06:04 PM
Pictures of CL21RBS home made table top -

That's awesome.  I'm going to do that.  Thanks.

majofive

Just took delivery of my trailer today! Woot Woot! The first thing I noticed is the table is a wobbly POS. I had been looking at a marine post to do a swap out if they had not resolved the problem and it look like I will go that direction. I wanted to see the size and hole pattern before I order anything. The base seems to be the problem. The connection is secure but the removable post is too shallow. Once I remove it I can see what it will take.

Canuckrdp

Lana / Larry,

What are the dimensions of the original table.  You mention 34" x 42" but I believe that is the new table size?

I am considering adding 2 folding table legs under the table top to fold down to support any table wobble.  I would install the legs on the open side of the dinette so someone could still sit on the inside without having the legs in the way.  The folding legs are 27 1/2" so I don't know if I have enough room to install them under the table top?

Thanks Rod