Loose coupler

Started by kluanie, November 01, 2017, 07:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kluanie

We received our new 2017 16BHB last week and are busy outfitting it for our first trip Thanksgiving weekend (who knew you could spend so much money after the purchase?!). We love this trailer so far but I took it out for a test pull after it arrived and the banging and clanging from the hitch area drove me nuts. So I started checking things out and bought a clamp to tighten the ball mount to the receiver which helped. There is still lots of noise though so I checked the ball to coupler fit and found 3/16" vertical play present. I checked the Curt ball size and it is 2 5/16 according to my Brown and Sharpe calipers. I can't find any way to adjust the coupler to make the fit tighter. Anyone have any info on adjusting the 'RAM' class IV made in China coupler?

DavidM

I agree, 3/16" of vertical play is way too much. I haven't adjusted the coupler clearance myself, but I have looked at it closely. There is a nut on the bottom which I suspect is somehow used to tighten up the clearance. I put a wrench on mine and couldn't get it to move with moderate force. Maybe it takes more force, but mine really didn't need adjustment so I didn't push it.

David

kluanie

Thanks for the reply DavidM, however this coupler has no adjusting nut underneath as most boat trailer couplers or utility trailers have. At this point I may have to go to a larger ball if a 2 3/8 exists.

AZMVP

It's brand new, you shouldn't need to worry about any of this. Take it the dealer or local shop to take a look at. Perhaps you have.. what did they say?

There were a few items that weren't perfect with my trailer, also a 2017 16BHB, when it arrived in April. There aren't any Camplite dealers in my area and despite that, the process of getting reimbursement for the punch list was rather easy. Surprisingly pleasant.

Cheers!
Matt

kluanie

A local rv repair shop (with a good reputation) suggested I hook the trailer to the TV and then raise the tongue jack to see if the ball stayed in the coupler. I did, it did so all is well. It didn't even clunk around on the maiden voyage. I guess that means I have plenty of tongue weight!