Welcome!

Started by admin, January 04, 2017, 10:01:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Welcome to the new Livin' Lite Owners Forum!

For those of you who were members of our original forum. We welcome you back.
We wish the transition could have been a smoother one but unfortunately under the old environment not all things were under our control.
This new Forum environment offers increased security and data preservation. We'd like your input concerning any new features or improvements you'd like us to implement.

Thanks for your continued dedication to Livin' Lite and its many users!

For new members. We look forward to great discussions, information being shared and a growing community of Livin' Lite owners.

Silverfox

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. You mentioned better data preservation. There was a lot of invaluable information on the old site that is now lost forever. You also mentioned security, wasn't the other site secure?
We're lost...but we're making good time

djsamuel

Increased security? What the heck was wrong with the previous system? If there was a security problem, please post what that was!
2013 Camplite 21BHS

Silverfox

Thanks ACF, I noticed that someone went through the trouble of archiving all the old posts from the original LivinLite site to the aluminum camper forum. It's unfortunate that LL didn't do that with their new forum. They did mention that there were "things out of their control" on the old forum. Not sure what they meant by that. I have to assume that if there is any reference to this new forum on the LL web site that it will be just a matter of time before they will have many new followers. LL has been making a lot of production changes as of late (some, not so good in my opinion) the jury is still out on some of the other ones. If their intention is to censor any critical comments about their products on this site than I'll be very disappointed. Time will tell.
We're lost...but we're making good time

djmiller

The increased security that I was referring to was (2) fold.
1.) Of most concern was the data was not secure as it was a service that could be here today and gone tomorrow.  That service at one time was free, like the original forum was, and then once upgraded it was a paid service, and then upon renewal the the price went up.  Price was not as much as issue as the fact it was proprietary, and the data was at risk. Because it was a service provided by a third party it could be here today and gone tomorrow.

2.)You may had noticed there was advertising on that site that displayed adds. Because it was on a forum that we paid for suggested we endorse those products.
I personally run add blockers on any browser I use so they do not appear, but the fact that they were there in itself  should tell you the security of your information is at risk and you are probably passing at the minimum your browsing habits and what your interests are.  That is why for instance you may have just been on amazon looking at a new fancy gadget or phone and when you went to the forum you may have seen an advertisement that was for the same or similar item.

djsamuel

Quote from: djmiller on January 05, 2017, 08:31:41 AM
The increased security that I was referring to was (2) fold.
1.) Of most concern was the data was not secure as it was a service that could be here today and gone tomorrow.  That service at one time was free, like the original forum was, and then once upgraded it was a paid service, and then upon renewal the the price went up.  Price was not as much as issue as the fact it was proprietary, and the data was at risk. Because it was a service provided by a third party it could be here today and gone tomorrow.

2.)You may had noticed there was advertising on that site that displayed adds. Because it was on a forum that we paid for suggested we endorse those products.
I personally run add blockers on any browser I use so they do not appear, but the fact that they were there in itself  should tell you the security of your information is at risk and you are probably passing at the minimum your browsing habits and what your interests are.  That is why for instance you may have just been on amazon looking at a new fancy gadget or phone and when you went to the forum you may have seen an advertisement that was for the same or similar item.

Thanks.  On number 1, I see what you mean.  I hadn't thought of security in terms of loss of forum data, I was thinking in terms of personal ID security.  However, LivinLite seems to have accomplished the data loss in one swoop by deleting the data.  However, from this point on, I see your point.

For number 2, I disagree.  The ads were obviously from Google Ads or similar source and obviously were based on user cookie information.  As such, I can see no way LivinLite could have been accused of officially endorsing those products, at least legally.

In any case, thanks for the reply. 
2013 Camplite 21BHS

djmiller

Thanks for your reply djsamuel
I believe we are agreement on point #2 as far as legally being held responsible.  However those adds were google ads but not all on other sites are.  Many sites sell add space so to many it may appear we do endorse those.  Not to mention the fact that our competitors adds at times were being displayed.

With out going into detail...... We did not delete the data.  We never had access to it.

Side note..... We are working the bugs out of the forum here as we speak.  This was not a planned shutdown of the old forum so if you notice anything that needs some attention please let me know..... Again not in our control.  Also looking for any suggestions or improvements that will benefit the members.  I did add owners manuals this morning.  Again thanks for your input.

tbrady

I know a bunch of people are ticked but I sure am glad to see LivinLite put forth the effort to get this site back up. My trailer is on order (hope to get it in March) and the people on the old forum were super helpful in helping me decide what to get.  Hopefully they will make their way back here. 

The other site (aluminium owners) will be difficult for most new owners to find I suspect and most will check here first.

And thanks to djmiller for uploading the owners manual... already printed it out!

Paul

Just a suggestion, could the ads just have been removed on the other forum if it was that much of a problem?
http://aluminumcamperforum.com
2014 Ford Escape
2016 Ford F150 XTR 2.7l ecoboost  4x4
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2018 Camplite 21BHS (on order)

otisw

I'm sure Livin' Lite wanted to take responsibility for the forum rather than let a third party run it.  Clearly the old forum moderator who was running it wasn't happy and intentionally did not cooperate in transferring all the old posts to the new forum.  There's always two sides to a story.
Livin' Lite DBS16

LSherman

Thanks for the warm welcome! Great to hear about he quality upgrades that took place. Always love being part of a solid group. I'm excited to share and discuss with you all!
Laurence | building demolition