Jeep Extreme Trail Edition Axle Specifications

Started by Astrolite, July 15, 2017, 12:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Astrolite

Hopefully I will be picking up a used Jeep Extreme Trail Edition camper next week. One of the issues that I'd like to overcome is the fact that I will have no spare tire. Since my tow vehicle is not a Jeep using the tow vehicle spare is not an option. I know I could just purchase a spare Jeep wheel, mount up a tire and stow it in my pickup bed, but I would like a more elegant and space saving solution. Have thought about mounting it on the rear of the trailer or possibly right on the top but that seems like a lot of weight for either location.

What I would really like to explore is the possibility of changing out the axle hubs for hubs with the same bolt pattern as my 2011 Chevy Silverado. That way the same spare could be used for either vehicle as was intended with the original Jeep setup.

Mr Miller, or anyone for that matter, would you know the manufacture/model number of the axle used on the Jeep Extreme Trail Edition? I'm also open the other ideas anyone might have.

Thanks 

djmiller

The Axle on the original Jeep used a wheel adapter.  These were used to allow Jeep wheel to be used.  They were eliminated late 2016 when we switched from the standard Jeep rim and included it separately to allow the Jeep spare to be used.  Without the wheel adapter the wheel should be a 5 lug 4.5" dia bolt pattern.

-Dan

Astrolite

I got the Jeep camper, turns out when I got it registered it is a 2015.

Are you saying the the Jeep Extreme Trail Edition uses the same axle/weight rating as a standard Quicksilver 6.0 and all you guys did was add a wheel adapter to fit those Jeep 17" wheels with 35" tires? I would have thought you would have need a heavier duty axle for this unit.

I just need to know:
Manufacture:
Model No.:
Weight Rating:

Thanks

KI4MTB

Check the axle out for OEM stickers and labels.  Mine had everything needed to get some additional info from the OEM.

Astrolite

Quote from: KI4MTB on July 20, 2017, 04:09:13 PM
Check the axle out for OEM stickers and labels.  Mine had everything needed to get some additional info from the OEM.

Do you have the Extreme Trail? It has a skid plate that covers most of the axle. Where on the axle was your info? Do you think I will just need to remove a tire or will it be hidden under the skid plate that covers the axle?

djmiller

It is NOT the same axle as the 6 but yes it always used wheel adapters to match the Jeep wheel pattern.
That bolt pattern had nothing to do with the axle rating.
You can get full specifications from Dexter with the OEM sticker information.
The 6.0 standard an axle rated at 1200 lbs.
The Jeep used a 2200 lb rated axle.

-Dan

KI4MTB

Astrolite,

Didn't think about the skid plate.  I have the 6.0 offroad edition which doesn't have the skid plate.

Astrolite

Looking at Dexter's website it looks like you must be using their Torflex Axle, it seems to be the only torsion axle they sell. Probably the #9 Torflex with a capacity of 1000 to 2200 lbs. I will try to find the manufactures sticker, but if it is on the axle tube under the skid plate how do I get the skid plate off? Or is that not recommended?

It looks like I may have two options to achieve my goal.

• Get a replacement hub, from Dexter if they make it, in my Silverado bolt pattern,
  • Get a set of wheel adapters to convert Dexter's bolt pattern to that of my Silverado.

Sounds like I need to give Dexter a call.
Thanks