Emergency Tool Box

Started by rob, June 24, 2017, 04:30:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob

Hi all,

I am headed out on a much longer trip in the coming weeks covering about 3,000km.  I have prepped a small tool box that includes battery powered impact wrenches, common sockets, common hand wrenches, common screw drivers, voltmeter, spare fuses and of course, the "Typical Handy Man Combo" of duct-tape and WD-40. Is there anything that you bring for emergency road and campsite repairs?     
2016 Jeep Patriot
2015 QS 8.1

Mitch

Make sure you have a #2 square drive bit, that's what fits in all the screws that holds the camper together.

rob

Smart idea with the hazard triangles.  Those are always in my Jeep. 

Never thought about #2 Robertson.
2016 Jeep Patriot
2015 QS 8.1

DocktorJJ

A good jack; we got a 3 ton for the Tundra and 21RBS.  Suggest Aluminum one; steel ones are HEAVY.  Also wood block to fit jack.  Tires always go flat in soft soil, I learned this lesson from Murphy who's always there to mess with things.
2017 Camplite 21RBS
2015 Toyota Tundra
Central Florida

jamie

Lot's of tie wraps or zip ties. Baling wire. A tarp for crawling under the vehicle on those soggy soft roads mentioned earlier.

gerry

I'd skip the WD-40. It does a great job of flushing any existing oils or grease but evaporates in a week. Suggest Boeing Boeshield T-9. That stuff seeps in well, stays, and actually lubricates. WD (Water Displacing)40 is a poor lubricant. Boeshield displaces water too.

As a contractor I usually travel with my truck loaded with hand tools and power tools. Also a 7' ladder to access the roof with the caulking gun if need be.

rgb13qbb

Gerry, I concur with your suggestion to have some Boeshield T9 in the trailer maintenance kit. Boeshield was developed by the Boeing Aircraft Corporation as a lubricant and corrosion protectant for aeronautical applications. I have used it for years maintaining firearms used in high humidity/salt water environments, fishing gear, and a prolifera of Land Rovers (aluminum bodies) over the years. Great stuff!

Also if you happen to have an Anderson Weight Distribution Anti-Sway hitch system you use to tow your Livin' Lite trailer with and if after the hitch has been exposed to couple of days of hard rain  it develops a really annoying screech when you are making a tight turn, remove the ball shank from the friction socket and but a few drops of T9 on the ball shank. It just so happened that I ended up talking with Ryan Anderson when I called Anderson customer service (pretty neat when the President of the company will pick up a customer service call!) about my previously "stealth silent" hitch becoming a "screaming banshee" and this was Ryan's suggested fix. He even offered to send me a bottle of T9 (no need as I buy it by the gallon which lasts me for years). Fixed the problem instantly with no ill affect on the Anderson hitch's sway control function. Best of all it has withstood numerous all-day torrential rains since then with out so much as squeak.     

russll

Dont forget the trusty leatherman, I always have it by my side!  :P

Jake Ditch

I carry a small metal tool box that is about 12" long, 6" wide, 2" high, and a domed lid. The tools I carry are small ones for minor repairs... the usual screw drivers, wrenches, pliers, hammer, etc. that you'd find in any home took kit. And don't forget some extra fuses!
Also the duct tape and baling wire and you'll be all set.