Awning Question

Started by Shellee, June 23, 2017, 12:25:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shellee

Hello, I have a QS 10 and I'm wondering if I should purchase an awning. Are they worth it? Or is it another piece you have to set up and take down and find out it wasn't worth it?

rob

Some have it and like it.  I went the easier route by purchasing a 10x10 easy-up tent.

2016 Jeep Patriot
2015 QS 8.1

chappy133

We added a zipper to our existing awning. My thoughts are we really liked the awning.  A good place to get in and out when raining and great shade when sunny. Pop ups are nice until the wind comes. I have seen many end up in the dumpster while our 12 X 12 tarp stood strong.
Chuck
2016 21 RBS
2022 F 150 Lariat
Easton, PA

PDXcamper

Definitely worth it. The first thing I bought after purchasing the trailer. Sooner or later you will encounter a rainy day and its nice to have a dry area outside your door, especially if you're cooking outside.  It is a bit of a hassle to set up, with the poles and setting the lines and stakes. Just takes a few extra minutes and part of the initial setup routine. I keep the lines, stakes and hammer in a separate bag, the awning and poles put in the trailer before foldup.  I've had my awning up, on a 8.1, through some heavy winds and the connecting zipper to the tent has held up just fine. 

RDL

Not sure why but the awning came included with my 8.0, which I bought in 2015. I like it but it is very hard to install by zipping to the tent. The problem is that the zipper in places has to go over the rounded corner of the tent bimini pole. I need to get on a 3-step ladder and tug and tug trying to zip it over the pole. I am afraid the zipper is not going to last long. I tend not to install the awning unless there is a chance of rain or too much direct sunshine because of this difficulty.

Mainers

RDL said:
"... it is very hard to install by zipping to the tent. The problem is that the zipper in places has to go over the rounded corner of the tent bimini pole. I need to get on a 3-step ladder and tug and tug ..."

Same here. In fact, some of the teeth of the zipper broke out the first time I used it. Fortunately, this was just on the end, so I can still use it if I'm careful not to zip it all the way to the end.

chappy133

Zipping the awning on.  If you look at my tarp to camper zipper you will see a big hunk of 550 paracord used to assist in getting it zipped on and off. Others zip it on before putting up the poles.
Chuck
2016 21 RBS
2022 F 150 Lariat
Easton, PA

CosmoRummer

We have the awning but have never used it while camping. If it's really hot, we prefer to use our Pop Up Gizmo, and you can't attach both the awning and the Gizmo. If it's raining, we use a Clam Shelter for cooking and perhaps storing gear.  I like the idea of the awning, but it just never worked out for us. 

CamperTom

Quote from: chappy133 on October 02, 2017, 12:44:00 PM
Zipping the awning on.  If you look at my tarp to camper zipper you will see a big hunk of 550 paracord used to assist in getting it zipped on and off. Others zip it on before putting up the poles.

Is there a specific zipper size that is needed to match the zipper on the Quicksilver? 

Is this the type of tarp to zipper you are referring to: https://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-Tarp-Zip-Up-Zipper-System/dp/B0055F5J06

[email protected]

We have a 6.0 and it came with the awning. We like it and leave it attached all the time. We added some Velcro and then roll it up if not in use.  Seems to work just fine.

RVfan77

We used to have a regular roll-up awning, which is of no good already as it's old and the material became too loose with time. This spring we bought a full-size awning, that looks like an extra room, and we totally love it! I am not sure what kind of awning you are referring to, but we loved both and cannot imagine our trips without an awning.
https://www.camperid.com/solera-awnings/solera-awnings-screen-room-289606659.html that's the one we've got, with additional shades.

chappy133

Quote from: CamperTom on March 22, 2018, 06:32:16 PM
Quote from: chappy133 on October 02, 2017, 12:44:00 PM

Is there a specific zipper size that is needed to match the zipper on the Quicksilver? 

Is this the type of tarp to zipper you are referring to: https://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-Tarp-Zip-Up-Zipper-System/dp/B0055F5J06

I had the dealer match and add the zipper.  I did not ask what type or size zipper they installed.  😕
Chuck
2016 21 RBS
2022 F 150 Lariat
Easton, PA