Air Conditioner Knobs

Started by Glenn, February 15, 2018, 11:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn

I have a 2016 16tbs with the Dometic low profile roof air. My question is, does anyone have trouble turning the control knobs for this unit? I find it difficult and my wife has a real hard time with them. I've thought about lubricating them but don't want to mess something up.
Any ideas?

ADR

Funny you mention that- when I first tried to turn A/C on in our 16TBS the knobs were extremely difficult to turn- so much so I feared breaking something.
I took the inner shroud off and what a poor design- the knobs are not inline with the controls they are supposed to operate.
They have a crude "ball and socket" type joint to attempt to remedy the misalignment.
Further the knobs actually have the "bearing" surface as plastic on plastic on the front panel and are a very tight fit.

After messing with them quite awhile I tried some silicone dielectric grease on the knob bearing surfaces.

What a difference!   Must have reduced the effort 10 fold.

Added in edit-  you really can't get the grease in where it is needed on the "fingers" that hold it in the hole while the knobs are installed.   You have to get the knobs out to do a proper job-  you might be able to pop them out without pulling the air shroud.

Glenn