RV TIRE PROBLEMS?

Started by LANA/LARRY, June 18, 2017, 08:58:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LANA/LARRY

I've heard some horror stories about the poor quality of RV OEM tires and resultant consequences such as body damage from shreds slapping wheel well, poor tire life, etc. What are forum experiences on this subject?

Are quality RV tires available (preferably USA made VS China) and if so, recommendations?

Why are tire covers recommended for RV's when not used on autos / trucks, etc.
2018 CL21RBS
2016 Tundra Dbl Cab Tow Pkg 5.7 L

Diversteve

Our first set did not last more than 6000 miles.
We switched to Duro brand and have had no issues in over 12000 miles.
These tires still show good tread depth.

djsamuel

We got about 8,000 miles out of 3 of the original tires until one split in the tread.  One was replaced under warranty due to a molding defect in the sidewall.  We replaced them with Carlisle Radial Trail RH tires, now Radial Trail HD.  Thay have been excellent.  The new Goodyear Endurance tires are supposed to be really good and are made in the US.
2013 Camplite 21BHS

gerry

Covers are used on autos that will spend more time sitting in the sun than driving on the road. Think a covered restored car for use on special occasions only. Many times RV tires don't get worn down for 7-10 years so the Sun is the killer, not mileage wear. I'd bet this is why many folks buy less expensive ST trailer tires instead of more expensive trailer radials and LT tires for their trailers.

Like Djsamuel I too run balanced trailer radials. Maxxis is another good tire to add to his list.

djsamuel

Quote from: gerry on June 20, 2017, 06:12:27 AM
Covers are used on autos that will spend more time sitting in the sun than driving on the road. Think a covered restored car for use on special occasions only. Many times RV tires don't get worn down for 7-10 years so the Sun is the killer, not mileage wear. I'd bet this is why many folks buy less expensive ST trailer tires instead of more expensive trailer radials and LT tires for their trailers.

Like Djsamuel I too run balanced trailer radials. Maxxis is another good tire to add to his list.

Good point on the covers and sun.

Also, thanks for mentioning Maxxis. 
2013 Camplite 21BHS

Dirk

I just put a pair of Carlisle tires on my 13 ft. I went for 8 ply this time. I believe the Westlake tires that the trailer came with were 6 ply.
The new 8ply look a lot better, the old tires always looked like they needed more air.
We are heading for BC in July, we'll see how the new tires work out.