7x20hjs VRV 2016 road Vs Offroad model

Started by stephaneVRV, June 08, 2017, 09:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephaneVRV

I looking to buy a brand new 2016 7x20 HJS VRV (with rear bed) that still on the inventory.
And the model available is a road model.
I want to go offroad (gravel road 100miles)
What are the differences between the off road version and the standard road option ?
Does the frame are the same or bigger on the offroad model ?
Can i upgarde this VRV to an Offroad model or I rellly need to buy a 2018 OFfroad series ?
Does anybody have any scary stories about broken frames , cracks and or cabinet that failed ?
I would like a real answer to guide me.
Thank you !!!!

jamie

Pretty sure you can't upgrade to off road afterwards without some major surgery, but i think there might be a thread on how someone did it on the other aluminum camper forum. Haven't compared side by side so can only judge by my off road model. There's an extra rail of aluminum the same thickness as the frame rail that I don't think the regular model has. It doesn't go the whole length, just long enough to go between the axles and frame. The 15" rims alone were worth it in my opinion. I've only used it a little on some rough roads so far and like it plus it goes over multiple train tracks like nothing. Thought the extra few inches might be noticeable in a higher center of gravity way but nothing. Also sure that the extra height translates into a higher hitch, which the weight distributing part would on mine would be pretty low without it.

I can't comment on longevity having only towed it about 750km with less than 50 (25 miles or so) of that being gravel and think you have to be careful of your definition of 'off road' here because the My opinion is go for it, I think it's more likely you'll regret not getting it than you'd regret getting it. The extra cost hurts now, the regret will last as long as ownership.

But you know what? There's a bush road near where I go that these crazy Quebecers bring in enough trailers to set up an off grid town every summer. Its a fun road on the quad but I'd think twice about taking the Safari on it now. A pretty busted up logging road that hasn't been maintained  since the 60-70's and these guys safely pull in 30'ers that don't look half as solid as a Quicksilver.

DavidM

Let me offer a dissenting view- if you don't really need the extra ground clearance, don't get it. The offroad package causes a few inconveniences: it takes more stabilizer jack turns and it takes two steps up rather than one. Also the extra height might slightly increase fuel consumption and will be slightly more affected by side gusts of wind.

But some models have low points like the sewer drain. Mine is fine with about 6" of road clearance. So check your model to see if you really need more clearance.

David