Bike rack on Camplite FK11

Started by TXbikeman, June 03, 2017, 03:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TXbikeman

So we are trying to figure out a way to put a bike rack on the nice aluminum platform on the back of our FK11 trailer. Considering some type of roof rack bike system that we could bolt down to it. Wife does not want to have to remove the front wheel every time she loads so the truck mount systems aren't really an option since you have to remove the front wheel every time.

Any ideas of a particular system or something that someone has done similar to this perhaps?

Thanks all.

Steve and Dana

There are several styles of "roof racks" that can be bolted onto the rear deck.  Here is what we use for taking our mountain bikes with us on our travels.........

TXbikeman

Man, that is exactly what we are going after. You have that same platform on yours.
I will check with Thule and see what they have available since they seem to be one of the major players in the roof racks. Do you off hand know what brand yours was?
Thanks!

Steve and Dana

We used a brand called SportsRack which is a low cost subsidiary of Thule, purchased through Amazon.  The rack is steel so to keep the steel off the aluminum and prevent future corrosion, the racks are mounted on one inch thick UHMW and secured with stainless steel nuts and bolts.  Under the decking an aluminum plate was added to cover the ribbing that is the bottom side of the decking.

TXbikeman

Appreciate the information. Time to get to work on this now!

raq

Hi - I am wanting to do this on my QS6 rear platform deck to carry 2 bikes. I am not (nor is my husband) super handy so could you tell me specifically what the 1" thick material is that you used and where to get it?
Also, what is the model of the bike rack you bought on Amazon? I found several SportsRack items and want to make sure I get correct item.

Thanks,
Rachel

Steve and Dana

Raq,

The one inch thick UHMW material can be purchased through McMaster Carr at McMasterCarr.com.  Just type in "UHMW" in the search bar on their site and it will take you to multiple types of UHMW material.  I used the white material and got it in a sheet so I could cut the material to specific deminsions to fit under the rack.

The Sportsrack that I bought from Amazon was the very basic model.  The model # is SR4882.  To be honest, there is a downside to using this particular rack - there is no cushion on the jaws that clamp onto the frame of the bicycle so I use a cut in half pool noodle as a cushion to prevent the jaws from scratching the bike frame.  This works ok on metal framed bicycles but if you have a carbon fiber framed bike I would consider a different style of rack, something like a Rockymounts Tomahawk.

Steve and Dana

Sorry, got a wrong picture.  Here is the UHMW

raq