Refrigerator not cooling.

Started by Jackson, June 01, 2017, 08:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackson

Loaded the camper including the refrigerator for a 500 mile trek to start Saturday am and no cooling.  Has performed OK to date but now barely cools the freezer.  Any ideas to save our trip besides getting out the old ice chest?

DavidM

Is the burner lit. Open up the cover and you can see, hear and feel the burner temp. Start with that and report results for more troubleshooting.

David

Jackson

Thanks David. Will store that for future reference. Actually the fridge is fine and the owner is not working. We have been on the road for over a week now and the unit is performing really well. On startup, refrigerator temps were way too low and freezing so we lowered to setting #2. The result was no cooling so we raised the setting only to not have the unit respond. Panic! Following my computer guy impulse I powered it down for a reboot which apparently did the trick.

Drover

Check the thermostat to make sure it hasn't been turned way down by mistake. Vacuum the coils under or behind the fridge. Clogged coils can cause poor cooling. Check to make sure nothing is stuck in the condenser fan and that it spins freely (models with coils on the back won't have a fan). To do this, unplug the fridge and pull it out. Clean the fan blades and spin the fan by hand to see if it's stuck. Plug in the fridge and make sure the fan runs when the compressor is running.

Liam

If everything is in order from the technical side, then only the thermostat malfunction remains.

PDX David

I've experienced similar frustration with our fridge (Dometic) and went through all the troubleshooting steps, eventually concluding that:

• the fridge does not respond quickly to any change of the thermostat; or in recovering from the door being open excessively.
  • the outside temperature (and whether or not parked in shade or sun) makes the most difference in how well/quickly the fridge cools.
  • don't wait for the morning of a trip to turn it on, give it a day or two to get cold.
I've since been using these thermometers to know more accurately what the inside temperature is: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B004QJVU78/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_LHETDbA4VMJPA

.....David
Portland, OR. / 2016  Camplite 16TBS towed by Mercedes ML350