Towing a 21BHS with a Highlander

Started by marcee, May 30, 2017, 06:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marcee

Hello folks,

We have a 2016 Toyota Limited AWD Highlander we towed our 21BHS from the dealer to home. Although the car can tow 5,000lbs. it makes the car really low. We were looking into air shocks or possibly 4x4 shocks but looks like you can't put air shocks in an HL and we will be riding like a stagecoach with 4x4 shocks. Anyone else tow with a Highlander?

wakeboydb

I presume you have coil springs?  There are lots of spring assisters out there that work very well. Check these out from the uk.
http://mad-suspension.co.uk/
2017 21BHS

marcee

DavidM

You probably need a weight distributing hitch (WDH) to transfer several hundred lbs forward to the front wheels. Just beefing up the rear springs will probably leave the front end too light.

Consider a Reese or Equalizer with clamp on frame mounts- drilling is discouraged in the aluminum frame. Get a light one to match your tongue weight which is about 600 lbs.

Don't consider an Anderson- not enough weight transfer capability.

Or, get a bigger tv.

David

Gibby

I have the E2 6000 lb (600 lb tongue) Round bar SKU: 94-00-0600 from http://www.fastwaytrailer.com/e2-hitch that I use on my 21RBS and Ford F150.

You would think that with a full size pickup it would not be needed, but even the F150 has a 500 lb max tongue load. Besides when it is on, it is like night and day towing, the extra sway control provided by the bars make that trailer behave behind me.

Note, there have been reports (and I had it too) that if it is the 2" coupler (5000 lb), and it only has the bolts on the top, that you could bend the coupler. Not to worry, we just add a couple of side bolts to bolt the coupler to the frame on the side. Livin' Lite has also has this fix as well (Contact them directly). Took me about 1/2 hour a drill and a couple of High Strength bolts to do the mod. No problems since. If you do a search on Google for 21rbs bent coupler, you will get some information about it.
2014 Camplite 21RBS
2021 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5L V6 EcoBoost

Gibby

Oh, here is a picture of the coupler mod.
2014 Camplite 21RBS
2021 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5L V6 EcoBoost

bae146

I had a Hyundai Santa Fe Xl, also rated for 5000 lbs.  I only had the 16 DBS, but found it also had an issue with the weight of the trailer.  I tried airbags from firestone inside the coil springs, that helped, but in the end I came to the realization that even though the mfg rates these vehicles to tow large weights they really are not suitable for it. 

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Towing/AirLift-Air-Lift-1000-Rear-Coil-Spring-60812.aspx?t_c=67&t_s=2&t_pt=9332&t_pn=AIR60812&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping&emlprox=out&ppcfon=1&gp=1&scid=scplpAIR60812&sc_intid=AIR60812&gclid=CjwKEAjw07nJBRDG_tvshefHhWQSJABRcE-Z_gPBace26SFrQpYhGPx2GTI01iN8UBjYVmgwIC8QgRoCQ5Tw_wcB

You could try these and see if it helps, I would use it in conjunction with the WDH.

Happy camping

djsamuel

Looking at the specs for your vehicle (https://pressroom.toyota.com/releases/2016+toyota+highlander+product+specs.download) it shows your payload capacity at 1385 pounds.  The tongue weight of the trailer will be about 12% of the weight, which at 5,000 pounds would be 600 pounds.  That leaves 785 pounds for cargo in the Highlander, which includes fuel, passengers, luggage, etc.  It also shows a max tongue weight of 500 pounds with the tow prep package. 

I tow a 21BHS with a Ram 1500 and it tows easily and doesn't squat at all. But, I have plenty of margin in my specs.  I don't know how much you'll be able to improve the towing, but if you are only planning short level trips you may be OK.  I've towed from Florida out to Utah and Arizona, as well as into the mountains of Tennessee.  I don't know if I'd want to do that in the Highlander.  If you like Toyota, a Tundra or Sequoia would be better options.

2013 Camplite 21BHS

Jillbenisch

Oh man.  We got a 16 bhb with a four runner and went over Vail pass on I70... once.  Here I sit in a Tundra now and actually wish we got the 21bhb!

marcee

We are selling our car and trying to find a car that can easily pull our 21BHS. Does anyone pull with a Tahoe? We really want a 7 passenger car.

djsamuel

I do know people that easily tow the 21BHS with Grand Cherokees.  A Durango (3 row seating) would do the job.
2013 Camplite 21BHS

marcee

Just wanted to provide an update that we bought a Suburban. Our first adventure with our new car will be this weekend!

Thanks for all your input.