A/C soft start

Started by bae146, May 27, 2017, 11:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bae146

Has anyone modded their roof ac with a soft start capacitor?  Wondering if my yamaha 2000 watt unit would run the ac if I put one in.

DocktorJJ

I have a Honda 2000 generator from our old trailer; it will NOT power a Camplite 21RBS with roof dometic a/c.
2017 Camplite 21RBS
2015 Toyota Tundra
Central Florida

marcee

If the 2000 Honda won't work have you found one that does?

DavidM

A Supco soft start capacitor can be added to your roof top A/C which will probably let it start with any of the inverter 2,000 watt generators. Any Dometic A/C dealer can add it for you or it is easy enough to DIY.

David

Capt J-rod

2000 watts is borderline at best for an A/C. Remember that temperature and altitude play into this as well. The capacitor kits will help, but I don't know it it will be enough. I use a 3000w Honda. It runs my a/c but that's about it. If your other items are sipping amps as well, it is tough. I've always said the Yamaha 2400w is the smallest you should go. FWIW I use a Honda eb3000c. It is a commercial contractor generator. It is a little loud compared to the eu series, but I have a box that helps a ton to dampen the noise. It is literally quieter than the eu 2000 Hondas now. If you haven't bought a generator yet take the trailer to the generator shop and hook it up. You might be able to rent a generator and try it for a week. I would have gladly bought the eu3000, but the weight was over 125# preventing me from lifting it. Mine is 75# and still a PITA. Hope some of this helps

Lcvannote

I've ordered the Micro-Air easy start. They say my 2500w will run the 13.5 roof air, we will see. I will update after I get it installed and tested.

OnWisconsin

Any update on the EasyStart from Micro-Air?  Picking up our new 21BHS at the end of the month.  Dealership has no experience with the EasyStart.  May just install myself.  I've been told my Honda EU2200 will start and run my 15k A/C.  Curious how yours works. Thanks!

klaker

MY 13.5k roof AC pulls a little over 1800 watts when running.

Why try to get by with a small generator that will be running near its max limit just to run AC when a 3500 watt generator can run the AC and anything else in the camper.

I use a harbor freight predator 3500, it was $700, is super quiet, and even with AC full blast the generator is just over 50% load.

chappy133

I have heard great things about this soft start:  https://www.microair.net/products/easystart-364-3-ton-single-phase-soft-starter-for-air-conditioner using a 2000 watt generator.

I have a 3000 Watt generator and when I inquired with Mircoair they told me I do not need their product since my 13.5 AC will run off our generator. 

That saves something about that company. 
Chuck
2016 21 RBS
2022 F 150 Lariat
Easton, PA