Trailer security?

Started by jenncassie, May 27, 2017, 01:08:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jenncassie

Does anyone have any products they would recommend for preventing trailer theft? Thinking of wheel locks and/or other security devices...Thanks!

rob

This is the set that I use:
http://www.wttool.com/index/page/product/product_id/15841/name/Keyed+Alike+Trailer+Lock+Set+Master+Lock

I have yet to see anything that will prevent trailer theft, but there are plenty of items that will slow thieves down and keep honest people honest. 
2016 Jeep Patriot
2015 QS 8.1

gerry

There are steps you can take to make it more difficult to steal something but there is no real prevention. For $400 you can get a wheel boot like the ones they lockdown cars with for unpaid fines. You can get lock sets for the tongue, remove the safety chains, back it up to a building and park a car in front of it and they can still get it. The latest generation of cordless grinders made by DeWalt and the like make theft of valuables a trivial albeit noisy reality.

Best to invest in tracking the trailer for recovery after taking simple steps like locking the tongue. LowJack makes a self powered unit. There are other options. Even some options that will snap pictures of the thieves but this is all after the fact.

I want to mount a generator to my trailer. There are some great solutions for locking plates. Unfortunately it will reside on an aluminum bumper that will cut like butter with a simple sawzall.