6x15 toy hauler R.I.P.

Started by jamie, May 19, 2017, 07:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamie

My new 6x15 was just delivered and am looking forward to using it. Saw the replacement 7x18 online and hope it still gives the drop in weight from the 7x20 that the smaller trailer offered. My question is how many 6x15s were made in the last run, and how many were shipped to Canada? Every dealer I located last year had none and I was told that LL decided to axe it. The dealer that got back to me said a last small run would be made to clear parts inventory and they bought 6 or 7. I'm curious how rare it is as a last model, not for value but for a good campfire story.

djmiller

There were lots of them made throughout the years.  However the 7x20 has been our most popular model in recent years but an often heard complaint was the length. Thus some opted for the shorter 6x15 and others decided to keep looking as they wanted something wider than 6x15 but not as long as the 7x20.  Thus the 7x18 was born.  I really should say re-born, as Livinlite once produced a 7x18 which grew to the 7x20.

They are constructed basically the same way with the exception of axles and fenders. The 7x18 will not be as light as the 6x15 though. You will not have problems with parts though if that is your concern.
We have a Canadian dealer that sold quite a few  6x15's and the majority of the last run was for him.  Like everything it is a supply and demand thing.  Enough demand and it would not surprise me to see the 6x15 re-introduced just like is being done with the 7x18.

-Dan

jamie

Thanks for the reply. No, there's no fears over parts, everything is always available... I saw the majority of the last run, mine was the first/last order at that dealer. Quite the sight to see a half dozen of them in a row, probably the only time I'll ever see that again. I knew I was buying a discontinued model but after a lot of research I decided on the 6x15 because of its 'just big enough and not one inch extra' size and frankly decided not to buy a toyhauler when I found out there wasn't a new 6x15 anywhere in North America. There's only a few TH's in that weight class and only LL had a decent model with dealer support in Canada. They had a new '16 7x20 on the lot for not much more than the 6x15 but I wanted small so after bugging the dealer enough, I was pretty happy when the last run was decided because I was ready to keep on tenting with the 4x8 utility trailer for the atv rather than buy a nice looking plywood box on wheels.

Every fall I go to this off grid free camping area with tons of trails and 100's of sq km of beautiful lakes, there's a lot of nice rigs but only the smaller ones get to the good sites. Over the years you get to know some faces and rigs and get to see how people expand their set ups. It's going to be nice to show up to the back site with this, I was hoping for a good campfire story about how rare it is in actual numbers, so when I say 'it's one of only blah-blah-blah '18s made' that it's less bs than my usual campfire stories. I'm still going to say it was my bugging the dealer that got a final last issue special edition made so that might be too much bs without some numbers to confuse 'em into believing me.

I get the economics of killing the 6x15, it probably needed its own production line being narrower. My search started with a budget of CAD10,000 looking at a small KZ. After enough research it ended up at a point where I could have bought two generic plywood TH's and a good used atv, people think I'm nuts spending more on a tiny trailer than on a park model with a slide out. So yeah, it's in a costly niche market for sure but other than a few custom builders there's nothing close. The other VRV has no dealer support here and trying to talk to custom builders was like pulling teeth. You wouldn't believe the attitudes I dealt with, which amazed me. Leave a message that basically says you're willing to drop a ton of cash, you'd expect a reply. Some RV dealers here in Ontario too, could learn a lot from the car sales industry but now I'm really going on a tangent.