Dry camping

Started by cayenneman, May 19, 2017, 04:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cayenneman

Does the electric outlets work on the camplite when dry camping off off just the battery?

gerry

Unless you plug in a generator just the battery works.

Biewers on the go

The electrical outlets will only work if you use a portable inverter that you plug into your auxiliary cigarette type plug in your RV or run it in from a separate battery.  Of course, that means you must have a way of recharging your battery as the inverter use will run your battery down when things are plugged into it.

Hope this helps.
Rayne

DavidM

What alternating current appliances do you want to run while dry camping. Tell us what and that will indicate how to power it.

RVs are designed to be self sufficient running on battery supplied DC only: lights, fan, fridge, furnace, etc. The only routine AC load is the air conditioner.

But as others have noted, without a generator, inverter or similar you won't have AC power at the outlets.

David

Jefe

No.

Not without being plugged into 110 volt source. Shore power or generator.

Gibby

Or you will need to find a "Current Bush"  ;D
2014 Camplite 21RBS
2021 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5L V6 EcoBoost

MeroDaras

I usually go camping with a battery, although I was advised a generator.

Gibby

I have found that the only items I have in the trailer that must have power are the AC and the Convection Oven. Both Items I can live without, everything else I have propane / 12V versions of.

I am planning an electrical upgrade that includes a couple 100AH lithium batteries and 2000W of Sine Wave inverter (enough to run the Convection, but not the AC). I am still weighing the Pro's / Con's of this (see above do I need it comment). It is not a cheap upgrade to be sure, but it sure will be fun to do.
2014 Camplite 21RBS

PuikMouy

Hello. Yeah, a 110v source is exactly what you need. As for those fire stories, mate, those days were really awesome. I miss them so much. I remember it as if was yesterday. We had sandwiches made on fire for breakfast and a cup of hot coffee. We had a sandwich maker that actually looks like this one https://www.amazon.com/pie-iron-for-campfire-cooking/dp/B088H42W2L. It was really delicious. Actually, everything that you cook in the mountains will taste delicious. Anyway, keep the thread updated. I hope you've found the source.

quitzonsandy

Only the air conditioner and the convection oven require constant electricity while I'm camping. I don't need either one, and if I do, I have a backup in the form of propane or a 12V version.

A couple of 100AH lithium batteries and a 2000W Sine Wave inverter (enough to power the Convection but not the AC) are part of an electrical overhaul I'm contemplating. I haven't decided whether or not I need this (see above) so I'm currently analyzing the pros and cons. It's not a cheap update, but it'll be a lot of fun.  drift boss

Gibby

Quote from: quitzonsandy on July 31, 2023, 05:24:32 AMOnly the air conditioner and the convection oven require constant electricity while I'm camping. I don't need either one, and if I do, I have a backup in the form of propane or a 12V version.

A couple of 100AH lithium batteries and a 2000W Sine Wave inverter (enough to power the Convection but not the AC) are part of an electrical overhaul I'm contemplating. I haven't decided whether or not I need this (see above) so I'm currently analyzing the pros and cons. It's not a cheap update, but it'll be a lot of fun.  drift boss

You and me both, I see that there are 200ah lithium batteries, and now there are 400ah lithium batteries that are aimed at the RV upgrades. I see a electrical upgrade in my future too. (400ah, + a 3000 watt charger/sine wave inverter), that will run the AC (not for very long, but it will run it.)
2014 Camplite 21RBS

michaelarrington

No, the electric outlets in a Camplite will not work when dry cookie clicker camping off the grid with just the battery.

jeffreestar

Consider the power consumption of any devices you plan to use to ensure slice master they are compatible with the trailer's electrical system.