Tonneau Cover Ripples When Driving

Started by CosmoRummer, May 16, 2017, 08:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CosmoRummer

We have a 2017 Quicksilver 8.0 that we bought last fall.  We love it but the tonneau cover seems to have been installed too loosely.  When we drive down the highway, it billows and ripples. I'm afraid this will eventually wear out or tear the cover.   

Our dealer said to bring it in, but that's 350 miles away, so I'd like to deal with it myself. Should I try to reinstall the snaps?  Or can I just use a few wide tie-down down straps?   Thanks for any advice or ideas!

rob

Slower air is flowing under the cover and faster air is flowing over it.  This creates lift, just like on a plane.  What is happening is normal and I have the same thing happen to me as soon as I am driving over 60kph. 

Some have used pool noodles under the cover to increase airflow and they have state that this has improved the situation.  I have yet to try it myself since I am not overly concerned. All of my trips are a short distance away.  I am planning a longer trip this summer so I will experiment a bit.

2016 Jeep Patriot
2015 QS 8.1

Delta!

The space between my cover and the camper gets filled with tarps, my awning and poles, entry mat, a rake and a few other flat items. This takes care of any looseness of my cover.

CosmoRummer

Thanks for the helpful  info, Rob. Makes sense.  Sounds like pool noodles will help a lot.

Delta, that's a great idea...I'll put our Gizmo and tarps in that space to help fill it out.

I appreciate both of your responses!

ajreaper

Mine does the same thing so some degree but it does not seem to be the least bit destructive- have pulled mine thousands of miles at highway speeds and the cover is fine.
2016 F-150
QS8

Radmore

I am on my second trailer and I did notice that the tonneau cover does seem to be loser than the last one. First one was a 2013 and this is a 2017

Riotanga

Pool noodles work great and protect it from the metal brace keepers

awlong

This is my first season camping with a QS 10.0 and I'm having the same issue.
I don't follow exactly how to use the pool noodle idea.  The front of the toneau cover (nearest the vehicle) doesn't have snaps.  Is the idea to put the pool noodle in between two snaps to allow more air under the cover?

rob

Quote from: awlong on May 31, 2017, 04:05:23 PM
This is my first season camping with a QS 10.0 and I'm having the same issue.
I don't follow exactly how to use the pool noodle idea.  The front of the toneau cover (nearest the vehicle) doesn't have snaps.  Is the idea to put the pool noodle in between two snaps to allow more air under the cover?

The pool noodle runs the length of the trailer.  If you cut a slit in the noodle, it should fit over the bed couplers. This should increase the air flow under the tonneau cover while also making it tighter and protecting it from the couplers.

I'll try to post a pic on the weekend.
2016 Jeep Patriot
2015 QS 8.1

CosmoRummer

So we took the pop up out last week.  We tried the pool noodles and they worked like a charm!  Our tonneau cover was really loose, because it took a total of 8 noodles laid under it to keep the cover pulled tight. Kind of annoying to have all those pool noodles at the campsite, but hey, whatever works!

rob

I tried it on the weekend but only had two.  They didn't do much for the tonneau cover but I did use them for sword fights.
2016 Jeep Patriot
2015 QS 8.1

lethaltoenails

We had some 2 inch solid foam insulation that cut to size in between the foldout legs, this took up the space nicely.  No more pooling water when it rains!

RDL

Let me revive this old topic. My tonneau cover also billows while driving on the highway. I tried tying a rope or two over and under but that was a hassle and didn't really work. I tried the pool noodles that were recommended by a few readers. Four of them make no difference and I don't really want a dozen pool noodles at my campsite. I could store other things underneath, but don't have much to store and don't want the cover higher than it already is. In my compact SUV I cannot see over the top of the camper when the cover is billowing, and that makes driving more hazardous as I don't have special side mirrors as if I were driving a truck. I've tried to find some elastic band that I could wrap around the 4 sides to greatly restrict the air that gets under the cover, but I can't find anything appropriate. I suppose I could use several bungee cords hooked together, but that would be hard to do by myself each time I take down the camper. I've even considered the desperate measure of cutting holes in the rear of the cover to allow air to escape more rapidly, but I'm not sure it would work and might cause too much damage. This billowing problem and the frequent need to replace snap fasteners has my wishing there were a better cover for this popup.