How to hitch the Andersen hitch

Started by Mepat, July 23, 2017, 10:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mepat

Well as newbies we just had our first experience hitching our trailer to our new Andersen hitch. We watched them do it at the dealer and thought we were paying attention. Now we are debating whether the ball gets hooked up first and then the jack raised and the triangular piece with chains attached or the other way around - triangular piece before the ball. I found a video on YouTube that said it is ball first. But my husband swears the dealer showed us to do it the other way around. Can someone settle our debate?

Any tips on hitching up would also be appreciated. It took us quite a while to get it done. Thanks.

Mitch

I usually back up to the trailer, drop the hitch onto the ball a little bit and then attach the triangle plate. The truck isn't  bearing any weight and the tensioning nuts on the Anderson are loose at this point.  I then lower the jack until I can close the hitch latch, hook up the rest of the chains and electric, raise the jack totally up so all the weight is on the truck and then I set tension on the nuts on the Anderson.

BeerSnob

Mitch's method seems to match the manual.
Here is the installation manual and at the bottom is the hook/unhook procedures.
https://andersenhitches.com/uploads/WD%20Hitch%20installation%20manual%202016%20sm.pdf
I found this is actually good review for us even though we've done it a lot lately. I didn't realize you are supposed to lower the coupler onto the ball but not set all the weight on it until after you tension the chains.

Also, regardless what the dealer showed you, I would follow the manual. We have a great dealer but I wasn't happy with the install - I had installed our previous one and frankly think I did a better job. It took me 3 times longer but I felt it was right when I finished. The dealer didn't have the chains anchored the right distance away.
Advice....practice, practice practice. It gets easier

djsamuel

I always lower the trailer onto the ball, stopping when it is fully seated and can lock the hitch; but before the truck takes on weight.  I then attach the plate, hand tighten the nuts on both sides.  I then use the wrench to tighten each side (in my case three full turns each side). 

It's worked great for four years now.
2013 Camplite 21BHS

Mepat

Thanks everyone for your guidance. Practice is definitely what we need.

rgb13qbb

Here is an alternative way that works well and eliminates having to loosen then reset your tension bushing nuts all the time. Part numbers are per the Anderson owners manual.

"Hooking and Un-Hooking the Anderson Hitch Assembly to the Tow Vehicle the Easy Way"
When hooking or unhooking the trailer it is Not Necessary to loosen /tighten the red tension bushing (part# 13) nuts (part# 15) once the hitch is set up for a particular trailer.   
Hooking the Trailer to the Tow Vehicle:
•   Check the number of threads showing past the tension nuts (part# 15) are same as your "basic" set up and equal on both side.  Record your "basic" thread setting here: _________________
•   With the trailer supported by the tongue jack, align the hitch ball on the Tow Vehicle with the trailer coupler;
•    Use the trailer tongue jack to lower the trailer coupler onto the hitch ball. Insure the trailer coupler fully engages the hitch ball and close the coupler ball latch.
•   Use the tongue jack to raise the trailer tongue and rear of the Tow Vehicle. If the coupler and hitch ball are fully engaged and the coupler latched, the trailer tongue and the rear of the Tow Vehicle will both rise. Raise the tongue until the "triangle plate" (part# 10), with the torsion chains (part# 12) attached, will slide easily onto the bottom of the ball shank. Install triangle plate retaining pin and clip pin (part#4).
•   Connect the safety chains in a "cross over" and connect the trailer break-away brake cable to the Tow Vehicle.
•   Lower the tongue jack until the weight is on the Tow Vehicle and Anderson Hitch System.
•   Secure the tongue jack and connect the trailer power cable to the Tow Vehicle.
•   Do a walk around, making sure the trailer lights all work and trailer stabilizer jacks and door step are all securely stowed. You are ready to go.
Unhooking the Trailer from the Tow Vehicle:
•   Apply Tow Vehicle Emergency Brake and block the trailer tires.
•   Disconnect the safety chains and trailer power cable.
•   Deploy the trailer tongue jack and raise the trailer tongue/rear of Tow Vehicle until the there is sufficient slack in the Torsion Chains (Part#¬¬ 12) to allow the triangle plate (Part #10) with the torsion chains attached to drop free of the ball shank when the triangle plate retaining pin (part# 4) is removed.
•   Remove the clip pin from the triangle plate retaining pin and remove the retaining pin from the bottom of the ball shank.
•   The triangle plate and torsion chain assembly should slide free of ball shank. A slight sideways twist may be required to aid the release of the plate from the shank.  It should never be necessary to pound on the plate to release it from the ball shank!
•   Stow the triangle plate and torsion chain assembly on or under the trailer tongue in a manner no one will trip on it.
•   Level the trailer, deploy the stabilizer jacks and door step. Connect the trailer to shore power if available. Enjoy!

MarshHawk

Quote from: rgb13qbb on July 26, 2017, 04:26:04 PM
Here is an alternative way that works well and eliminates having to loosen then reset your tension bushing nuts all the time. Part numbers are per the Anderson owners manual.

"Hooking and Un-Hooking the Anderson Hitch Assembly to the Tow Vehicle the Easy Way"
When hooking or unhooking the trailer it is Not Necessary to loosen /tighten the red tension bushing (part# 13) nuts (part# 15) once the hitch is set up for a particular trailer.   
Hooking the Trailer to the Tow Vehicle:
•   Check the number of threads showing past the tension nuts (part# 15) are same as your "basic" set up and equal on both side.  Record your "basic" thread setting here: _________________
•   With the trailer supported by the tongue jack, align the hitch ball on the Tow Vehicle with the trailer coupler;
•    Use the trailer tongue jack to lower the trailer coupler onto the hitch ball. Insure the trailer coupler fully engages the hitch ball and close the coupler ball latch.
•   Use the tongue jack to raise the trailer tongue and rear of the Tow Vehicle. If the coupler and hitch ball are fully engaged and the coupler latched, the trailer tongue and the rear of the Tow Vehicle will both rise. Raise the tongue until the "triangle plate" (part# 10), with the torsion chains (part# 12) attached, will slide easily onto the bottom of the ball shank. Install triangle plate retaining pin and clip pin (part#4).
•   Connect the safety chains in a "cross over" and connect the trailer break-away brake cable to the Tow Vehicle.
•   Lower the tongue jack until the weight is on the Tow Vehicle and Anderson Hitch System.
•   Secure the tongue jack and connect the trailer power cable to the Tow Vehicle.
•   Do a walk around, making sure the trailer lights all work and trailer stabilizer jacks and door step are all securely stowed. You are ready to go.
Unhooking the Trailer from the Tow Vehicle:
•   Apply Tow Vehicle Emergency Brake and block the trailer tires.
•   Disconnect the safety chains and trailer power cable.
•   Deploy the trailer tongue jack and raise the trailer tongue/rear of Tow Vehicle until the there is sufficient slack in the Torsion Chains (Part#¬¬ 12) to allow the triangle plate (Part #10) with the torsion chains attached to drop free of the ball shank when the triangle plate retaining pin (part# 4) is removed.
•   Remove the clip pin from the triangle plate retaining pin and remove the retaining pin from the bottom of the ball shank.
•   The triangle plate and torsion chain assembly should slide free of ball shank. A slight sideways twist may be required to aid the release of the plate from the shank.  It should never be necessary to pound on the plate to release it from the ball shank!
•   Stow the triangle plate and torsion chain assembly on or under the trailer tongue in a manner no one will trip on it.
•   Level the trailer, deploy the stabilizer jacks and door step. Connect the trailer to shore power if available. Enjoy!

this is exactly how I do it. My biggest problem is sometimes the sometime I have a hard time getting the pin into the Anderson hitch. I'm not sure why.
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Camplite 2018 CL16TBS
Newbie!!
Ford F-150 3.5L Eco Boost (GTDI)
10 speed trans 4x4 Off Road
Max Towing pkg.

rgb13qbb

MarshHawk:
Having the back of the tow vehicle and trailer tongue raised to have enough slack to move the "triangle plate" left/right and up/down on the ball shank is a big part of the key to getting the pin aligned and into the holes. if a little slack is good more is better.  If the pin and holes are "dry" that makes things a little more difficult as well. I periodically lube the cross pin and holes with Boeshield T-9 or "White Lightning" bicycle chain dry wax lube, makes life easier.

epiphysis18

I'm glad this was posted.  I never try to raise the hitch with the trailer jack.  there have been times when I cannot fully engage the bolts on to the chains....so I will turn the truck a little to even out the length on both chains.   

Outworight

Use the trailer jack to lower the coupling onto the tow ball. This allows you to properly align the joint with the ball. It will be as effective and slippery as playing geometry dash. Establish clear communication between the person guiding the driver and the driver operating the tow vehicle. Use hand signals or a designated set of verbal cues to ensure a smooth hitching process.

otis

The coupler should have a latch mechanism that watermelon game secures it in place over the ball. Ensure that the latch is in the open position before lowering the coupler onto the ball.