Type of sealant used in wheel wells? Mine is leaking...

Started by tbrady, May 11, 2017, 12:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrady

Our 2018 21BHS has the issue with the wheel wells leaking.  I've tried fixing this with some undercoating spray but there is still some getting in.  Does anyone know what type of "rubbery" sealant is put on at the factory?  It almost looks like something brushed on as it is super thick and flexible..

Fatdog1

I had leaks on my 21 BHS. I used black silicone sealer to seal up seams around the wheel wells. I jacked up the trailer at frame, removed the wheels to get good access  (Note Dexter Axles manual states Do Not put a Jack on the axles or axle steel mounting plates, use the frame). I used a bright drop light  to see around wheel well. I put slick style LED work light inside the cabinet next to wheel well and floor to see if I showed any gaps in floor and wheel wells.   I also spray a type of rubber sealant from HD over the seams after silicone dried.  I haven't had any issues after doing mine. 

tbrady

rgb13qbb

Profflex-RV, the sealant is made for the RV industry. Remains flexible even at cold temperatures to accommodate trailer flexing. Resists tearing, pealing, if used where rocks may be kicked up off the road surface.
One of the major issue with silicone sealants is that silicone will not "adhere" to itself, so if you ever need to re-caulk an area you have to remove all the old silicone sealant and that is job in its self. Proflex RV will bond to itself. It comes in an number of different colors if that is an issue, or it can be painted over.

tbrady