Light switch inside the door of 2013 14dbs gave electrical sound, not good

Started by Cairnterrier1, May 16, 2017, 09:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cairnterrier1

No lights now, and the fuse was blown.  I replaced it with a couple of other fuses, and still it blows fuses.  I took the connectors off the switch, and touched them together ... thinking I had a bad switch, it just blew another fuse. 

So I have a short somewhere. How can I start to figure this out?  I have LEDs, so I will take these out and look for a shorted wire, but this is a needle in a haystack.

Any ideas on how to remedy this issue?

Many thanks.  Is Shaun still and administrator to this forum? 

gerry

You probably have aluminum shavings in the light fixtures. Was pretty common back then. When they cut all the holes for wiring many shavings were left behind and find their way into the light fixtures. You can probably see some just looking into the lenses. This is the place to start. Remove light fixtures and vacuum the holes and shavings.

lyman guy

I have a 2013 LL truck camper that had an electrical problem with the lights last week. Go to the Livinlite truck camper page and look up my post on what the problem was and how I fixed it.

Cairnterrier1

Thanks for replies.

Actually the dealership said to start at the switch and look for bare wire, which would have been the exact wrong thing to do.

I did remove all the lights in the ceiling, and pulled the wires out so they would all hang down about 4-6".  Then I flipped the switch, and it did not blow.  I indeed cleaned out tons of metal shavings, and examined the wiring.  I discovered a very tiny split in a wire, and repaired this and reinstalled the lights.  I am hopeful that this did find the actual problem and cured it. Time will tell.  We have not jostled it around with a trip since the repair, but hopefully it will hold.