New Axle Questions

Started by Silverfox, May 02, 2017, 07:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Smith

I was under my trailer the other day and took this picture of the axle. Mr Smith
PS I feel much better now. Still curious about the sideplate reading 2500 pounds per axle.
2017 CL 21RBS  aluminum cabinets, dinette
2000 Ford E-150 4.6L  conversion van

klaker

Saw a 2017 21 with a 9/2016 build date and it had the leaf springs with the Dexter E-Z Flex Equalizer.

The MORyde CRE3000 equalizer looks to be a 2018 model year addition.

I like the wheel spacing on the leaf spring suspension and the fender looks good also.

Mr Smith

I have a 2017 cl 21RBS  with aluminum cabinets and dinette. Build date 02.2017. And it has this.

klaker

I like that set up, I know leaf springs cost Thor less money but they are simple, durable, you can fix them yourself if required. With the CRE3000 equalizer the ride is much softer than springs alone.

My 21 has the Torflex and they are great but I wouldn't care if it had the leafs.

Mr Smith

This is why I like the new axle set up. A simple bottle jack and jackstand is all you need to change the tire, no special jacking sequences needed, like with torsion bar suspension. Just put the bottle jack underneath the U-bolt plate and off you go. Oh by the way when we took the trailer to Wisconsin Dells it Road very smooth.
Mr Smith

djsamuel

Quote from: Mr Smith on August 31, 2017, 04:25:35 PM
This is why I like the new axle set up. A simple bottle jack and jackstand is all you need to change the tire, no special jacking sequences needed, like with torsion bar suspension. Just put the bottle jack underneath the U-bolt plate and off you go. Oh by the way when we took the trailer to Wisconsin Dells it Road very smooth.
Mr Smith

What special jacking sequence is required?  I just place the jack right behind the wheels of my 21BHS (torsion axles) and lift the camper using a 4x4 on the frame.  Works great.
2013 Camplite 21BHS

Mr Smith

You need the 2 x 4 on the frame. And if you put a jackstand in the wrong place on the torsion tube you can damage the tube and then the suspension would wear out prematurely.  Just saying that leaf spring suspension is much easier to work with. The tire that needs to be replace is the only one that gets jacked up not the whole side of the trailer to me that's a little on the sketchy side when trying to change a tire on the side of the road, and you have half the trailer Jack up at one single point that is not very stable.

djsamuel

Quote from: Mr Smith on August 31, 2017, 10:29:05 PM
You need the 2 x 4 on the frame. And if you put a jackstand in the wrong place on the torsion tube you can damage the tube and then the suspension would wear out prematurely.  Just saying that leaf spring suspension is much easier to work with. The tire that needs to be replace is the only one that gets jacked up not the whole side of the trailer to me that's a little on the sketchy side when trying to change a tire on the side of the road, and you have half the trailer Jack up at one single point that is not very stable.

Understand.  Thanks.  Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I like the torsion axles but certainly wouldn't mind the leaf springs.  The MorRyde suspension is a step up from the typical leaf spring suspension on many travel trailers.
2013 Camplite 21BHS

gerry

You might consider this for raising your tandem axle trailers. I use it unless I need to rise both wheels.  https://andersenhitches.com/Products/3604--camper-leveler.aspx Lynx Levelers are another great option. Both require no jack or block or jack stand.

On the side of the road these are the safest options considering you need to climb under the trailer for your spare. I wouldn't waste any time trying to refit the flattened spare under the trailer. Let the tire guys do that... ;D