Number of Axles

Started by Mitch, August 17, 2017, 07:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mitch

This week my wife and I went to look at several new LivinLite trailers.  We have a 13QBB but are interested in upgrading to a 16 foot. I have it in my head that a dual axle trailer is better than a single axle and have the following questions for the forum.  First, the 16 DBS is dual but the 16 TBS is single, having looked at both I can't really come up with a reason for that, anyone have any idea why they're configured that way?  Second is there a distinct advantage to a dual axle config?  My thinking is that dual is better for tracking and smoother towing and of course extra tires is an advantage in case of a flat but I don't have any experience with a dual axle trailer. Are my thoughts correct or is the benefit actually less than I imagine?

Capt J-rod

Dual axles are better for trailer weight distribution. Think back like a teeter-totter. If you have dual axles then your fulcrum is three feet wide rather than 3". dual axles don't "suck over" as bad with passing truck traffic. The redundancy of four tires lets you creep off the side of the highway or maybe get to the next exit in limp mode. I have brakes on both axles on my 21. I don't know if this is the case on a 16, but it helps out on a smaller tow vehicle big time. The down sides are more tires to buy, more bearings, and harder to maneuver in tight spaces. Especially the barn and driveway where I try to jack knife it in. Depending on the dealer you might be able to try both and decide. IMO the second axle is worth every penny.

DavidM

I suspect that LL switched to single axles in the 16tbs because the tongue weight was too light. The dibs has a different layout and the tongue weight was ok with double axles.

David

chappy133

I was told by the factory they went with a single axle on our 16 TBS because the tongue weight was too light.
Chuck
2016 21 RBS
2022 F 150 Lariat
Easton, PA

Mitch

Thanks for the responses, I like the two axle adea but I also like the TBS interior.  A conflict indeed.

chappy133

What we like about the TBS Is the ability to get in and out of bed without climbing over each other. When you are older like us this is a must have and what sold the TBS for us.
Chuck
2016 21 RBS
2022 F 150 Lariat
Easton, PA

Mitch

That's exactly why we like it too. 

jballjr

My sentiment, too.
When I get back to the States I will probably look for a good, used 2015 TBS, upgrade the refrigerator and add a tankless water heater.

Orance

Thanks for you reply. After reading the whole post. I have learned more about this topic.

klaker

I wouldn't get too hung up on number of axles. A well maintained single axle with GOOD tires will serve you fine.

Keep a spare tire on hand and be vigilant about tire pressure, keeping them covered when parked to block the sun is a good idea.

Nice thing about a single axle is there are only 2 tires to buy, 2 hubs to grease, and the camper weighs less.

Capt J-rod

Quote from: klaker on August 30, 2017, 04:28:37 PM
I wouldn't get too hung up on number of axles. A well maintained single axle with GOOD tires will serve you fine.

Keep a spare tire on hand and be vigilant about tire pressure, keeping them covered when parked to block the sun is a good idea.

Nice thing about a single axle is there are only 2 tires to buy, 2 hubs to grease, and the camper weighs less.

I agree but there is one weakness. Chinese trailer tires are very questionable. They blow out with no warning. My previous rig had a single axle. It came with 13" Chinese tires. After two trips of 500 miles each, the tires started to show weakness and sidewall cracks. I immediately upgraded to 14" rims and Goodyear marathon radial tires. I never had a blow out, but my friend was not so lucky on his R-pod. It literally ripped the fender off the trailer and did serious damage. Needless to say that during the repair the tires were changed. I am probably going to use light truck tires this time. A single axle is fine, but be very aware of what happens when one blows. The tank valve assembly was completely destroyed in that accident. When I changed to the 21, the second axle was very welcomed for peace of mind. You are very correct with your advice on bearings, and tire inflation. Also verify the speed ratings of the tires on your rig. Most trailer tires are rated for 65mph.

Jackson

With two axles the weight distribution is more critical than with one. If front or rear pitched one set of tires is carrying a greater percentage of the load and subject to more stresses. Likewise while cornering there is greater tire scrubbing. A blow out is a blow out regardless of the number of tires requiring both skill for the driver and a lot of luck. Like the man said take dang good care of your rubber and it will take good care of you.