New Axle Questions

Started by Silverfox, May 02, 2017, 07:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silverfox

Does anyone know anything about these new leaf spring axles? Does Dexter still make them? What does wide-track mean? What is MORryde suspension? This is what they have listed for equipment on the 2018 Livin Lite Travel Trailers.  :-\ Wide-Track Leaf Spring Axles w/MORryde® Suspension
We're lost...but we're making good time

djmiller

Dexter Still makes the axle.  I honestly think the wide track is more of a marketing term.  The new Leaf Srping Axles are still equiped with the EZ lube system.
The MORryde Suspension refers to... see this link.http://www.morryde.com/products/90-cre3000-suspension-system?return=%2Fproducts%2F87-independent-suspension-system

-Dan

djsamuel

The MORryde system got an excellent review in a recent issue of Trailer Life.  It is basically a much improved system for linking the leaf springs of the two axles.
2013 Camplite 21BHS

Silverfox

Thanks for the link Dan. My trailer hasn't been delivered yet but I'll assume it will be installed with the Mor/ryde CRE3000 kit with leaf springs instead of the torsion axles. Some people said the their trailer handles better after they installed this kit. The Trailer Life article that djsamual mentioned was about 7 years old I couldn't find a more recent issue. This Mor/Ryde kit looks like an upgrade to the standard equalizer triangle and should produce a better ride. I think the wide-trac means the axles are spaced further apart. I was on a dealers lot and saw a CL 21' with torsion axles that had about 4" of space between tires and another 21' with leaf springs that looked like it had about 9" of space between tires. I've been reading a lot of pros and cons to leaf springs vs torsion suspension. I guess time will tell. One thing is for sure...the leaf spring set up has to add weight to the trailer.

djsamuel

The article I saw was a few months ago. I didn't have a camper 7years ago.  :)

I do remember the review of the installation and performance was very positive.
2013 Camplite 21BHS

Silverfox

Thanks djsamual, I think I found the article you were referring to. Been doing a lot of reading on leaf springs and shackles and I think I'm going to upgrade the shackles to 1/2" thick ones and use wet bolts or switch to lifetime bushings. The thing about leaf springs as opposed to torsion axles is that the springs require some maintenance.

Mr Smith

Look at this picture and see if you can tell what's wrong.  I have down payment on a 2017 CL21 RBS.  Can somebody please shed some light on this.  These new leaf spring axles are only 2500 pounds weight rating each. They are saying the gross vehicle weight 5468. The old torsion axels are rated for 3000 pounds each.  Is there something I'm not understanding here some help would be appreciated thank you.
2017 CL 21RBS  aluminum cabinets, dinette
2000 Ford E-150 4.6L  conversion van

djsamuel

Basically, the limiting factor is now the axles.  The axles have a combined capacity of 5,000 pounds and the tongue weight is 468 for a GVWR of 5468.  My 2013 21BHS with the torsion axles (3500 pound capacity each) has a GVWR of 5,000 pounds which was the weight limit for the hitch.  So they increased the hitch capacity (I believe the went with the larger ball size) but decreased the axle capacity. 
2013 Camplite 21BHS

Mr Smith

Thank you for your reply. This does make sense but it still makes me very nervous. I guess  only time will tell. Thank you again for the reply. Mr Smith

djmiller

Mr. Smith

Currently there are two schools of thought I know of on GVWR within the RV industry. I am not saying what is correct as on the web both are explained in detail.
Currently your new 21RBS will have (2) 2800 lb rated axles = 5600 total.  The tongue weight on the unit when we weight a standard unit was 416 lbs.
Because technically the weight on the tongue is not on the axles the GVWR is 5600 + 416 - 6,016 lb.  The Cargo Carrying Capacity is thus 2416 which is GVWR (6016) - the Unloaded weight UVW of (3600).
I think I got the math right LOL.  This is what our website currently reflects as well as other RV manufacturers.

We will be changing soon to the version that will not add the tongue weight into the calculation this lowering the calculated CCW in this case by 416lb.
When comparing specs between manufacturers this needs to be takes into consideration.

The rating on the coupler has nothing to do with the GVWR. Only the maximum load that the coupler is rated to carry.  Currently the 2-5/16" coupler currently utilized on that model is rated at 14,000 lb.

I hope the helps answer your question.

Regards,
-Dan

djsamuel

Dan,

If the coupler has nothing to do with GVWR, why does my 2013 21BHS have a GVWR of 5,000 pounds?  The installed axles have a capacity of 3500 pounds each?  The camper has a 2" coupler marked with a 5,000 pound capacity. 

Do you have the part number for the new coupler in case I decide to upgrade to the larger ball size?

Thanks
2013 Camplite 21BHS

djmiller

The manufacturer actually sets the GVWR of the trailer. It just cannot be more than the weakest link such as tires, axles, frame, etc....

The 3500lb. capacity axles originally used on the 21's were overkill.  We did not feel comfortable rating the unit that high, thus we set the GVWR at 5,000lb.
The original 2" coupling was also rated at 5000lb, which may lead one to believe it was taken into consideration when setting that GVWR.

Sense then we replaced the 3500lb axles with 2500lb axles and standardized all couplers to a 2-5/16 ball the same used on our toy haulers.
That particular coupling is rated at 14,000 lbs. The 14,000 is the maximum tongue weight that coupler is rated for.

-Dan

Mr Smith

Ok so this means the 21,s have 5000# GVWR. THE 468# tung weight does not apply. This means The old cargo carrying capacity was 1452.  Now minus the tongue weight 468 pounds leaves you with 984 pounds. So the actual cargo carrying capacity is 984 pounds not 1452 pounds. Is this correct. I just want the real numbers so I do not overload my trailer. Thank you Mr Smith

djmiller

The image you posted was for a model built 4/2016 - At that time 2500 lb Dexter Torflex axles were used and the weight was different.
Currently the axles are Dexter spring axles rated at 2800 lb.  Without weighing your trailer I can only assume the sticker is correct.
It is a good idea to actually weight your trailer when typically loaded.  How you load your trailer can easily affect your tongue weight. Which can affect handling adversely.

Mr Smith

Here's a picture of mine it is a denticle to the one I showed you earlier mine is a 2017 possibly 2017.5 I do not know when the model year ends. I just need to know so I can load my trailer properly and not put my family or ANYONE ELSE IN DANGER ON THE ROAD.  Thank you Mr Smith
I'm not yelling I'm not upset I'm not being angry or anything like that I just want everybody to be safe.