Bent Couplers

Started by tinkeringtechie, January 07, 2017, 05:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidM

You can go back and forth with LL or you can buy your own bolts for a couple of bucks at the hardware store. That is what I would do. CharlieM was one of the original LL owners whose coupler bent. He posted a description of his fix and the size of the bolts over on the old LL forum. The aluminiumcamperforum has a link to the archives that you can search.

David

PYG RYDR

Quote from: DavidM on March 28, 2017, 10:26:26 AM
You can go back and forth with LL or you can buy your own bolts for a couple of bucks at the hardware store. That is what I would do. CharlieM was one of the original LL owners whose coupler bent. He posted a description of his fix and the size of the bolts over on the old LL forum. The aluminiumcamperforum has a link to the archives that you can search.

David

David,

Thanks!  I located Charlie's original fix in the archives.  https://aluminumcamperforum.com/index.php?topic=210.msg1194#msg1194 

Looks like an easy task!

Regards,

Galen

Fatdog1

Dan Posted: There were very few reports of actual bent couplers. To my knowledge it was limited to a few of the first 21ft units that had 5000lb. capacity couplers.
If you have a unit with a bent coupler, you should of course take it to your dealer for service as the coupler should be replaced.

I have 5000# coupler with over 6000 miles towed and no problems. Is it highly recommended that side bolts be installed? What size diameter bolts are being used example Grade 8 5/16"?  I can purchase them at my local store, just wondering what size.

The newer 21BHS overall weight is a little heavier than older models, what capacity # coupler is being used?