Custom cargo carrier

Started by tbrady, April 23, 2017, 02:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrady

Yesterday my buddy helped me weld the bumper reinforcement on and helped with welding on the cargo carrier.  I took a stock cargo carrier from Sportsman Warehouse and cut off about 7" of the steel tube, then welded a baseplate on so that the carrier will sit directly on top of the bumper as much as possible.  And then added a little custom touch on the other end of the tube. :)

The only other thing I might do is add some sort of aluminum block on each end that way the weight on the ends is transferred directly to the bumper.

Any feedback/concerns are greatly appreciated!

thanks
tim

Root

I love it.  I wish my camper did not have the main door entrance at the rear so I could add something like this.

LANA/LARRY

Very nice installation! I like that some of the weight will be directly above bumper with force downward. A word of caution though, any significant weight outboard (away from camper back) will exert some twisting torsion on the bumper and with bouncing up and down & normal moving vibrations may "work" the weldments of bumper / frame connections. Watch welds closely for cracking.

Others have suggested placing a second piece of 2"x4" aluminum rectangular stock inboard of factory bumper and welding it to frame extensions and factory bumper thus doubling toughness and lowering risk of weld cracks to factory welds.

I don't have any direct experience (YET!) with this sort of modification as our 21 RBS is currently being built, but after receiving it will be doing the double bumper thing and perhaps copying your top mount idea!  Best of luck with your modification. I will be watching for any experience follow up you post.

Take Care / God Bless!
2018 CL21RBS
2016 Tundra Dbl Cab Tow Pkg 5.7 L

gerry

Quote from: LANA/LARRY on May 30, 2017, 10:15:34 PM

Others have suggested placing a second piece of 2"x4" aluminum rectangular stock inboard of factory bumper and welding it to frame extensions and factory bumper thus doubling toughness and lowering risk of weld cracks to factory welds.

Take Care / God Bless!

It appears he did double up on the 2x4 bumper tube and had it welded. I had this done as well and am still having another 2x3 welded to the inboard sides of the frame then to the bumper. Better safe than dropping a generator at 60+ mph.

Nice work, OP!

tbrady

Yeah, I doubled up the bumper right away.  The factory said they would do it initially but then for some reason it didn't happen.   We put a genny, camp stove, 5gals fuel,  patio mat and other misc items inside a cargo bag that fits nicely on this thing.  We've already been on one trip with it and it works great.  Probably 75% of the weight is sitting directly on top of the bumper.