Freshwater tank - only 2/3rds is usable

Started by tbrady, April 16, 2017, 09:47:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrady

While on vacation last week we found that in our 36 gallon freshwater tank only the top 2/3rds is usable.  The way the draw is configured the pump starts sucking air when you get below 2/3rds.  This leaves a huge amount of water in the tank which is useless.  I've not yet checked but I'm guessing you can't drain all of the water from the tank either since the drain is also mounted on the side of the tank.

Has anyone else experienced and/or have any ideas on how to resolve?

tbrady

Did more investigation and once again, this appears to be nothing more than lazy/sloppy workmanship.   >:(  The freshwater tank has a low water "trough" where you could easily get almost every drop out of the tank.  However, the folks at Livin Lite opted to weld the outlet on the side of the tank far away from the trough.  I have no idea why except that maybe it took them 30 seconds less time and about 1ft less of hose.  Stuff like this is really frustrating.  I'll be calling Livin Lite to try and get this addressed under warranty.  I seriously doubt they will do anything though and I'll be left taking the whole tank out myself and trying to fix this properly.

Mr Smith

Did you ever get your freshwater tank fixed. Did you put  a new Lowpoint drain, and cap off the old one. Because I have the same issue. Would really like to know if you did anything or if will be livinlite help in anyway.  I have a 2017 CL 21 RBS.   Thank you Mr Smith.
2017 CL 21RBS  aluminum cabinets, dinette
2000 Ford E-150 4.6L  conversion van

tbrady

Quote from: Mr Smith on June 29, 2017, 03:59:27 AM
Did you ever get your freshwater tank fixed. Did you put  a new Lowpoint drain, and cap off the old one. Because I have the same issue. Would really like to know if you did anything or if will be livinlite help in anyway.  I have a 2017 CL 21 RBS.   Thank you Mr Smith.

Yes, I added a 1" blind bulkhead fitting to the lowest point and plugged the existing one.  http://usi-rv.com/category.sc?categoryId=4  Now we get a steady supply of water until the tank is literally almost completely empty.  Note- the fitting I got says it is not for potable water.  This is due to some new govt regulations from what I understand and how even brass fittings can leach some lead in the water.  I actually took our fitting and soaked it in water for 2 days and used a lead testing kit which found nothing.  So even though it says not for potable water I feel perfectly fine using it.

Mr Smith

Thank you very much for this information I will put it to very good use. The only thing is that is one expensive fitting . Do you have the model number of the fitting you've purchased.  And can I get a picture of the finished product that would be super. Thank you very much Mr Smith

Mr Smith

Thank you  tbrady for the information about the fitting. I just installed it yesterday and it is working beautifully. Again thank you a lot more usable water.  All I had to do was remove the front tire and the drill fit perfectly did not have to drop the tank at all.  Thank you thank you thank you.
Mr Smith

garymcclellan

I'm having a similar issue with a 2018 21BHS I just bought. Drained my tank and the tank monitor is still showing 1/3 full. Called customer service and they told me to bring it back to the dealer which is 350 miles away :(

Did your trailers have the enclosed underbelly covering the tanks? If so, was it difficult to remove for access to the tank?

Also, Did you use the part # TSK-BBTF-100 fitting from the website link with the 1" NPT threads? Any additional info on other items needed to fix this would be much appreciated!!

DavidM

Is your tank really empty?

Get underneath and look at the tank when it seems empty. You can usually see the water line level through the translucent plastic. You might need to dribble a little water in from the fill fitting to agitate the surface to see it better.

If it is empty, then I would just mentally calibrate the gauge and live with it.

David

garymcclellan

It's not empty, there's still close to 10 gallons in there. The drain and pump inlet fittings aren't mounted on the lowest point of the tank.