BATTERY draining ??

Started by K Syrah Syrah, April 24, 2018, 01:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K Syrah Syrah

Our 2018 has a built in battery disconnect, but still seems to have a draw.

I found some vampire appliances, but unplugged them or turned them off (not on standby) altogether. No lights are on. Trickle charged (solar suitcase) all day and battery read FULL at sundown. Unplugged solar panel and this morning the battery was reading EMPTY. The battery is a new AGM 100 amp hour monster. We killed the first cheap-o battery by not taking cold weather precautions. We have had shore power plugged in, battery connected to trickle charge, but are going on a camping trip with no hookups. 

Now, here's the weird thing...if lights are on and we disconnect the battery with the switch, the lights go off. However, when we installed the new battery, there was a current still flowing, even with the battery disconnect switch disconnected, and no shore power.

Help us understand.....we're newbs.
2018 CL14DBS XL Platinum
TV='14 Nissan Pathfinder
...as Doris says, with a bold red in hand, "Whatever will be, will be."
😁🍷

Mitch

Sounds like a job for a voltage tester. One would certainly think that with the battery disconnect turned off there is nowhere for the power to go but obviously that's not the case based on your description. How do you know there is current flowing when not on shore power and the battery disconnect off? 

ADR

One possible thing that will drain a battery quickly is the emergency brake switch-  that braided steel cable you hook to your tow vehicle.
Make sure the plunger isn't out where the switch is on the frame.

That switch does NOT run through the disconnect switch since you may need it towing with the disconnect switch off.

K Syrah Syrah

Thanks! That makes sense and, yup! The pin was pulled. I also found a button on my King Jack that was sucking a little juice.

Those trailer brakes are one of those mysteries that I hadn't considered. I was thinking they were mechanical and not electrical. Still living in the horse and buggy days, I guess.
2018 CL14DBS XL Platinum
TV='14 Nissan Pathfinder
...as Doris says, with a bold red in hand, "Whatever will be, will be."
😁🍷

Mitch

Quote from: ADR on April 24, 2018, 07:24:59 PM
One possible thing that will drain a battery quickly is the emergency brake switch-  that braided steel cable you hook to your tow vehicle.
Make sure the plunger isn't out where the switch is on the frame.

That switch does NOT run through the disconnect switch since you may need it towing with the disconnect switch off.

Good Catch!!