roof seal leakage

Started by backpackerdude, April 11, 2017, 12:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backpackerdude

Put 5,0.00 miles on unit and had a 1 inch or so rain storm with 2016 21' trailer parked level.  In waste basket I had between bed and wall captured 4.5 inches of rainwater.  And, due to a small miracle floor below was not wet.  A local trailer repair guy says an aluminum roof can leak even with the best sealant if the aluminum roof is not properly cleaned before sealant is applied. Any others experiencing a similar problem?

chappy133

I had water coming through the front marker lights. Silicone fixed that.
Chuck
2016 21 RBS
2022 F 150 Lariat
Easton, PA

bae146

Quote from: backpackerdude on April 11, 2017, 12:52:38 PM
Put 5,0.00 miles on unit and had a 1 inch or so rain storm with 2016 21' trailer parked level.  In waste basket I had between bed and wall captured 4.5 inches of rainwater.  And, due to a small miracle floor below was not wet.  A local trailer repair guy says an aluminum roof can leak even with the best sealant if the aluminum roof is not properly cleaned before sealant is applied. Any others experiencing a similar problem?

I think this was also an issue for Aloha Airlines....  Yes prep is everything, no matter what the material.  If you find the area it is leaking from remove all the sealant from that area, scuff the aluminum with scotchbrite, wipe it down with alcohol, then apply new sealant.

Bordi45

I chased a similar leak on a trip this summer. I can't say for certain this was the source, but had noticed the silicon between the awning rail and the body had deteriorated, and hasn't seemed to leak since redoing it. Perhaps leaking through one of the screw holes? My volume wasn't as large as yours. I had resealed the front clearance lights, but it leaked after that again.